Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission problem??

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 01:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Transmission problem??

My car is '95 Formula with 70k. I'll try to explain this as best I can. For a few months now, whenever I put the car into say 3rd, 2nd, or 1st, it only stays in that gear when I have my foot on the gas. When I let off the gas it feels like its in neutral or something because the car just basically coasts instead of slowing down like it would usually do if it was in first gear like a stick would, know what I mean? and then when I put my foot on the gas again, its right there at the right gear but it never use to do this before. Anyone know what the deal is?

BTW: The car shifts perfect and strong when in Drive and the trans doesnt slip at all. The other day I hit the rev limiter in a WOT run for reasons I have no idea why.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a possible trans issue,,,
Old 08-04-2006, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sounds like the overrun clutch circiut...maybe i should elaborate the ovverrun clutch comes on during decel along with the forward clutches to give engine braking.....it also comes on when you are in manual also to give extra holding power........if the overruns are burnt up or they have a bad seal on the turbine shaft or the piston seal this could cause this

Last edited by Predator T/A; 08-04-2006 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:22 PM
Teching In

what do you mean by saying it stays in that gear? Do you mean for example that when its in second and you mash it it wont kick down to first if your going that slow? Whan its in overdrive it shifts fine right??
Old 08-05-2006, 05:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by fastformula309
what do you mean by saying it stays in that gear? Do you mean for example that when its in second and you mash it it wont kick down to first if your going that slow? Whan its in overdrive it shifts fine right??
Yo man, When I drop the car down into say 3rd, 2nd or 1st it doesnt decel when I left off the gas but when I get back on the gas it drives in that gear likes its supposed to.
Lemme know if ur going to Montgomery Mall tomorrow or not. its at 2, I think Imma go but not 100% sure.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:04 AM
Teching In

i will let ya know if im going or not im gonna try and get outta work early(hate working f*&^ing sundays), and you should talk to dj that kid with the z28 im not sure but when his trans started going i think it did that, i know it would bounce the limiter insead of shifting too.