Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you fill the TC with fluid...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 01:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can you fill the TC with fluid...

While still intalled on the car? What if I just turn the engine over with out starting it? Or using one of the cooler lines?

Thanks,
Dan
Old 08-06-2006, 02:20 PM
TECH Regular

If you turn in while installed won't it full the converter then pump out into the lines.
Old 08-06-2006, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't because I would be scared of knocking out the front pump. Or damaging the convertor. Then not only do you have to pull it back out anyway, you have to replace expensive parts.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:51 PM
10 Second Club

I don't understand, how would I knock out the front pump? It would still work just like normal whether the TC has fluid in it or not right? The pump pick up is in the pan full of fluid, will turning the engine over be good enough to prime everything or will the engine have to run before the pump starts working?
Old 08-07-2006, 12:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

From what I understand, the time spent cranking the motor to get fluid to the convertor, something can happen to the seals or something up there. I've always put a quart or fluid in the convertor before i install it that way I won't have any worries.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:46 AM
Teching In

The pump is a vane pump it needs the momentumme to pump anyway don't think you could pump it fast enough. Why do ya want to do this ?
Old 08-07-2006, 01:15 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by StormT
The pump is a vane pump it needs the momentumme to pump anyway don't think you could pump it fast enough. Why do ya want to do this ?
Because I don't want to pull the tranny out just to pour a quart of oil in the TC. That's why I'm looking for alternatives to fill the TC. My fault I forgot to add that quart of fluid when I installed it though. The tranny is a new (TH400) and so is the TC. I'll call Neal chance and Rossler to see what they say.

Dan
Old 08-07-2006, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can try it, but even on Monster Garage when they forgot to fill the convertor for the Iraq build it cooked the tranny. The guy that did it said he puts them in dry all the time, I would never put one in dry. My luck it would damage the tranny as well. If you call these guys and they say it's ok, what happens if it's not. They'll be like we never had a problem, sorry! Then your stuck with the R and R anyway, plus what it could cost to fix.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:09 PM
10 Second Club

They feel pretty confident it will be fine. They just said to make sure I dump about 8 quarts in first. The pump will fill the TC instantly. I'm still gonna check around a bit more for some professional opinions though so I may still be pulling this thing out. This is like my 5th TC install but only the first time I forgot to add fluid to the TC .

Dan