Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLT a good pick over one from GM?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 01:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FLT a good pick over one from GM?

I just picked up a 2000 Z28 this weekend

Its at 100,000 miles and I know the tranny will not last too longer. It shifts find, but OD/4th gear is loud, and vibrates the gass pettle, so I risk gear loss and leave it in D sometimes. Other than that, its really clunky/jumpy when I put it in R.

Im not going to mod it for a long time, but want to replace the tranny. Would the 4L60E from FLT be a better choice over a rebuilt/new one from GM?

Is this level 3 better than the stock one and good for light mods?

http://www.finishlinetrans.com/trans...60E-Level3.htm

Thanks in Advance!
Old 08-21-2006, 01:47 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cyprex
Its at 100,000 miles and I know the tranny will not last too longer. It shifts find, but OD/4th gear is loud, and vibrates the gass pettle, so I risk gear loss and leave it in D sometimes.
that's not your tranny. it's your driveshaft. i'd be willing to bet you have 2.73's? then you have a steel driveshaft, and steel driveshaft = vibration in the gas pedal at certain speeds.

Other than that, its really clunky/jumpy when I put it in R.
normal. all automatic trannies bang a little when put in reverse.

Im not going to mod it for a long time, but want to replace the tranny. Would the 4L60E from FLT be a better choice over a rebuilt/new one from GM?
hell yes. FLT is by leaps and bounds better. consider rock-on also. maybe you're closer to them.

Is this level 3 better than the stock one and good for light mods?

http://www.finishlinetrans.com/trans...60E-Level3.htm
God yes.

i just wanna point out, don't buy the tranny yet. set up a separate bank account with $2,000 in it and SIT ON THE MONEY! there's no point in going out and buying a tranny when yours works fine. wait until it blows. i'm starting to find out that power isn't the 4L60E's biggest enemy, it's rpm's. stick a tranny cooler on it and don't redline it and that tranny will still put out many more miles of smooth riding. then, if it finally blows, you have money set aside. no use buying a rebuild and putting miles on it when the stocker works great. if it ain't broke....don't fix it!
Old 08-21-2006, 01:53 PM
Teching In

Ok thanks much for the info!
Old 08-21-2006, 06:57 PM
TECH Addict

I'm not sure I agree with that. If you wait until it blows, you have no core to exhange with...
Old 08-21-2006, 09:02 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Is the GM one the Certa 3 (sp?)? I think it's just a stock rebuild, I would pass.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:35 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
I'm not sure I agree with that. If you wait until it blows, you have no core to exhange with...
it has to be a perfectly working 4L60E in order to get the core charge? i was under the impression that you send them your old 4L60E and they just rebuild it.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

As far as I know it depends on what wrong with the trans.. if you really scatter it and mangle the internals and destroy the case and major parts.. no core charge because there will be nothing useable to refurbush but if its just starting to go bad like a bad pump or bad clutches and you dont scatter the trans you will get the core.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:13 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by sixvi6-camaro
As far as I know it depends on what wrong with the trans.. if you really scatter it and mangle the internals and destroy the case and major parts.. no core charge because there will be nothing useable to refurbush but if its just starting to go bad like a bad pump or bad clutches and you dont scatter the trans you will get the core.
yea that's what i thought.

that's why i'm saying wait til your tranny starts slipping. you're tranny's not gonna just explode. likely you'll just burn the clutches. i imagine they'd still take the core. it's not like it blew up into a million pieces, right? i mean shoot, they replace the clutches anyway

i assume as long as the valve body and housing is fine, you'd get the core? the sunshell, clutches, accumulator pistons, servos, all that good stuff gets replaced.