Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

have no 2nd gear at all?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 09:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default have no 2nd gear at all?

just bought a 99 ta and the tranny will not shift into 2nd it is like it is not home any more,you have to feather the pedal to get it to shift,then it goes straight to third,and it shifts fine into 4th,there is no slip in 1st or the other gears as far as i can tell,tried to down shift manually into 2nd from 3rd and get nothing but a 2nd neutral.any help would be appreciated i tried a search and had no luck,thanks,i am new to the site so any advice on this topic or on using this site will help me to not tick anyone off with my questions thanks again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-21-2006, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sounds like a broken band, 4th should go out soon. i have the same problem and am waiting for an appointment to get my trans removed then have FLT fix her up.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:59 PM
Teching In

thanks for the heads up i will start pullin the tranny this weekend and take it to a tranny shop as i am not a tranny guy!any good reasonable shops that specialize in our trannys around our area? i am from lower michigan by notre dumb.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:18 PM
TECH Resident

Yep, tranny is fried.
First one I had did the no 2nd thing and then the next 60E I put in did the no 3rd or 4th thing after 25k.

That was enough, TH400 and tranny problems went away.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:18 PM
TECH Resident

same here went throught two 4L60E's after that I went to a B&M 700R4/4L60 no problems out of it
Old 08-22-2006, 03:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

I heard somebody mention one time either a broken sprag or drum?? But basically whatever 2nd gear is supposed to grab, well, it cracks/breaks, and then there's nothing left to grab?

...but the short answer is your tranny is toast! Mine did the EXACT same thing almost 2 months ago now ... 2nd gear died (I was road racing the car on track ) so I opted for the T56 since I'd like to continue trying out the road racing scene a little more, and the manual is better suited than the auto. As well, it was going to cost me almost the same for a WELL built auto + stall converter as it did for the T56 + all related parts, so there was no real reason NOT TO for me .

Best of luck getting your baby back on the road soon!

Quick Reply: have no 2nd gear at all?