Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tune after TC install?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 09:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tune after TC install?

I searched all the threads I could find, but found that some tune and some dont after a converter install...

I just changed heads and cam, and have NOT installed the converter yet. Would it be better to wait for the converter install (3600) before I get it tuned?

If I do need to do the tune after the TC install, what do I need to know/ask the tuner?

I already installed a trans cooler, but the converter is soon to come...

thanks

(2001 Z)

Last edited by procamaro; 08-25-2006 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:26 AM
TECH Regular

You need no tune.
918 446-3019. That is the number to FAST cHIP. eD wRIGHT IS THE OWNER/TUNER. I use him as my tuner. He is argueably the best in the nation.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:39 AM
Teching In

So you send your PCM to him?

I had a PROM from ed wright on my '91 TPI, was great...
Old 08-25-2006, 10:49 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by procamaro
So you send your PCM to him?

I had a PROM from ed wright on my '91 TPI, was great...
No I have the good fortune to be friends with him and live in the same town.lol His dynotunes are the best!lol His shop is more than happy to help any way they can. A buddy of mine got his mail order tune for his auto car. That night it went 12.6 with gears and headers only! No other mods.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:07 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you tune the heads/cam with the stock converter in place, you'll probably have to go over your idle again after the converter goes in. Adding a 3600 converter to my car really threw my perfect idle with the stock TC off quite a bit.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CuNfUzEd
You need no tune.
918 446-3019. That is the number to FAST cHIP. eD wRIGHT IS THE OWNER/TUNER. I use him as my tuner. He is argueably the best in the nation.
How can you say that he needs no tune, Then tell him to use Ed Wright for a tune? Nice way to throw out a plug! He does need a tune for a stall that size.

To the og poster, you should get a tune to get the most out of it. Some don't get tunes with smaller tc's with no issues. With a 3600 you are going to need it. I would wait for the tc if you can. Then have all the tuning done at once. It depends on how long you have to wait for the tc. I just believe that you should try and do things the right way.

Imho I think mail order tunes are a last resort. They are so hit or miss. Unless you are running a certain companies setup and they do the tune for you. Most mail order tunes are not custom to your setup, most are close, but not perfect. I would try to find a reputable tuner in your area first. Also, if you have issues, you have to play cat and mouse sending the pcm back and forth. I know Ed Wright use to lock the pcm as well. I don't know if he still does. But if he does still lock the pcm, I would never use him. What if you have an issue and you can't get it fixed do to the pcm being locked. You have to send it off or have a dealer reflash it. Then you also lost your tune.

Good luck with whatever you choose!