Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*sigh* 1st, 2nd...but no 3rd? or 4th?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *sigh* 1st, 2nd...but no 3rd? or 4th?

_________________________ _____
Well i got a 1997 Camaro. v-6 with the 3800 series ll and the 4L60E transmission.

a bit of history:
About a year ago my first transmission eventually slipped horribly and wouldn't' go into any gears and ate it's self up. The fluid was brown if that's any indicator of my fun level...

Transmission was dropped out and replaced with a used (all i could afford... $800 ) transmission (4L60E) from a chevy astro. (same transmission type) it did great till i was driving home after i dropped my girl friend off at work. went to pull out under 1/2 throttle to keep space between my self and traffic. went through first fine, second hit, nice and firm just as it should and then i got up into the revs and there was a little bump where it should have shifted into 3rd but no dice. just stayed in 2nd as if i were in the "2" position. (btw i had it in the overdrive position the entire time)

drove it the rest of the way home which is about 3 miles I'd bring it up in revs in 2nd gear and then I'd put it in neutral to keep from harming the transmission further and my engine for keeping it at high revs.

it sat for say...2 hours. called my father had him bring home tranny fluid. the level was a bit low so we topped it off. my father took it out for a drive and it shifted fine through every gear. so i took a big sigh of relief and left it alone.

I went to go get my girlfriend again from work roughly 2 hours later. it shifted fine all the way there. The car sat for 15 min. while i went inside. Then we left and it was fine...but then 5 minutes after leaving, almost in the SAME damn spot i lost 3rd+ again....

That was at the beginning of the week, i let the car sit for a couple days and then started it up and tried it again...no worky. just 1st and 2nd.

I called the race transmission guy that swapped it out and he said it might be the 2-3 solenoid(s) or clutch packs? and mentioned i should check connections going to the transmission.
Which it's been raining every day for the past 4 days so i haven't been able to get under the car.

So, to summarize everything above.
-Car shifted fine. till about 3 miles of driving. (with NO previous symptoms)
-1st,2nd but no 3rd or 4th. reverse works great.
-Fluid was a bit low, we topped it off drove it and it worked fine.
-Drove it about 3 miles again and it lost 3rd and 4th again.
-Drove it a couple days after that and it's still not working.
-Just revs out in second and free-wheels when i let off higher in the rpms. and I'm sure if u laid into it, it would run out the the rev-limiter.
-To my knowledge it's not running hot. (then again I'm poor and don't have a temp. gauge on it.)

Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated. Sorry for typing so much but i wanted to give as much information as i could. i know that helps when people ask me for help.

Thank you for your time and patients,
Anthony

Last edited by 97'RS6-BucketTurd; 08-27-2006 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:59 PM
TECH Resident

Dude, I hate to say it but it looks like your trans is about to go...same thing happened to me about a month ago. I had 1st and 2nd, but 3rd and 4th only sometimes....long story short, eventually all i had was park, reverse, first, so i ordered a level 4 from Rock On
Old 08-27-2006, 05:09 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your best bet is to get a new tranny. you only have a V6 so you don't need anything crazy strong. you should check out an FLT level 3 tranny:

http://www.finishlinetrans.com/trans...60E-Level3.htm

it's as affordable as a built tranny will get. i guarantee it'll be a hell of a lot more fun as it has a shift kit in it. chances are, your V6 will never break the thing as long as it's maintained (regular fluid and filter changes).
Old 08-28-2006, 09:00 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Agreed you will need a new tranny , and you paid to much for the used one , But agreed you should not need anything monsterous , just a good performance mild build should suit you fine , Look for a good deal on a built tranny you may find its only slightly higher than what you paid for that used one .
performabuilt
Old 08-28-2006, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

I kinda have the same prob as you, I have 1st no 2nd have 3rd and no 4th. I dunno wtf is wrong all I know is i need A TRANNY QUICK!
Old 08-30-2006, 12:06 AM
On The Tree

well, since Monday....IT'S BEEN WORKING!!!!! no problems at all. all i did was let the damn car sit for 1/2 a week and i started it up to drive my g/f down the street and hey, it shifts! and since Monday it's been fine. no slippage or anything, I've mashed it all the way till 100mph and let off without any problems. go from a stand still to full throttle and it shifts fine.

any ideas?

hey Chad, I'll give u my working tranny if u give me your engine? Good luck to ya