Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Tranny Fluid?????????

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 06:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Tranny Fluid?????????

Ok on occasions my tranny will act like it will jerk or maybe slip every once in a while but nothing to be concerned about. When I checked my fluid I noticed it has seen alot better days. My car has 110xxx and the fluid might be original. Should I take it to the shop and have my transmission filter and fluid flushed or should I just leave it alone. I have heard horror stories and didnt really know the best route. The fluids not black its just kind of faded looking almost see through with a pinkish tint.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DONT flush it. I know sometimes by even doing a filter/pan drop the new fluid with the chemicals in it or whatever if its bad enough inside the tranny the new fluid will eat away at the internals of your tranny. My friend owns a transmission shop and he said cars come in for a flush and sometimes filter changes with high miles and he advises he would not do it if it were them and they say they still want to do it and the car will never leave on its own again without a rebuild.....
Old 08-28-2006, 04:00 PM
Launching!

I have to agree w/ AutoMagicls1. I have personally watched cars get complete flushes and never move on their own again. The least I would do is maybe a filter/fluid change only. That way maybe you will not shock the trans. By removing all the old fluid you will also remove any metal that is in the fluid which is needed for it to have friction. I don't mean to scare U but I would at the least only change whats in the pan and go from there.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:25 PM
Teching In

its not that the flush does any damage, when you flush a trans you take all of the sludge out of it, and many times that is what is keeping the trans together. if you drop the pan and see a LOT of sludge and metal, dont even bother changing the fluid just put it back on and take it to a shop. there has been cars that never move again after a filter and fluid change.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

well I dont think my fluid is much of a sludge or really even that dirty. It just looks like it is really beat down to the point were its lost it dark red color and now it is a more of a see through pinkish. It might be dirty when I drop the pan who knows im not much of a trans person so I couldnt tell ya.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:01 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DomesticLS1
well I dont think my fluid is much of a sludge or really even that dirty. It just looks like it is really beat down to the point were its lost it dark red color and now it is a more of a see through pinkish. It might be dirty when I drop the pan who knows im not much of a trans person so I couldnt tell ya.
The fluid when new is a light pink color. When its on the dipstick you can see through it.