Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attempting transgo install this weekend.. Qs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 05:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attempting transgo install this weekend.. Qs?

I am in the process of trying top relieve a p1870 code, and am installing a transgo shift kit this weekend in an attempt to solve the problem. I do not have any know how as far as transmissions go, but I can follow instrustions pretty well and am going to attempt this myself.

My kit came with no video as I was lead to beliefe it would, is there a writup online, more in-depth than the included instructions, on how to get install the kit?

I know I don't have to remove the transmission to install this kit, put what do i need to remove, and how... is there a write-up???

While I have it apart, is there anything I should replace that doesn't come with the transgo kit? Nothing expensive, ormuch of a hassle, just anything that I "might as well" do while I'm in there?
Old 08-29-2006, 11:36 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

if you have not had any experience with installing a shift kit , find somone who has to help you , ,
If you just want to get rid of 1870 email me and ill send instructions for a way to do that without removing valve body ,
At any rate if you attempt install follow the instructions one step ate a time and read threw them a couple time before you start ,
performabuilt
Old 08-30-2006, 03:55 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks.

The instructions only detail what to change in the transmission itself. I need to know how to get that off the car in the first place.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:55 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone? Anybody?
Old 08-30-2006, 11:11 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

ok remove pan , remove filter, remove pwm solinoid clip and remove solinoid, remove two ten mm bolts and remove lockup solinoid , unhook all the plugs from the solinods , remove the 13mm bolt holing the manual lever spring in place , Remove all the ten mm bolts , there will be three 8 mm bolts make note of where they are they have to go back in those locations if they dont you will be in the market for a tranny,Which maybe good for me perhaps but not for you, lower valve body do not tip . set to side remove and mark the positions of the 7 check ***** and remove them dont loose them . BACK TO CAR - remove the three 10mm bolts holding accumular let it down , next remove the three 8mm bolts holding steel plate , gently and evenly let the transfer plate come down , there should be one ball on it .
From there follow all the instuctions carefully in the shift kit ,
performabuilt
Old 08-31-2006, 04:50 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks man, this should be fun to attempt this weekend. if it ever stops raining
Old 08-31-2006, 10:30 AM
11 Second Club

go to ebay and get the automatic transmission service group manual. they're about 15 bucks but worth their weight in gold when you got a handful of valve body parts and need to reassemble them.

its got exploded drawings of every part and labels them. i just installed my B&M kit yesterday, but i've got a bit of experience, as my ASTG book is covered in fingerprints and tranny fluid haha

dont lose the check *****, you'll need some snap ring pliers if you're gonna mess with the pressure regulator valve spring. and make note of how long each bolt is and which hole it went in to. also be very careful unplugging the wires, they seem to be kinda brittle and could break easily.

on reassembly, dont forget the metal plate that that goes on before the valve body goes back on.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

If you look at your written instructions, it says when the video and written instructions differ then go by the video instructions....there was a difference when I installed mine. Written instructions said one thing and the video said to do a completely different thing.....If I hadnt thrown the video away I would send it to you. Ron
Old 08-31-2006, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default torque mgt

if you have a 2001 or later car, you will need to delete the torque mgt feature in the computer program.