Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! trans problems after swap

Old 09-02-2006, 06:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help! trans problems after swap ***(UPDATE)***

Ok my buddy has a 2000 formula had a built 4l60e with an yank ss3600 and decided to sell his car. I have a 1998 Z28 we just traded transmissions. I already had a yank ss3600 but took his anyway just to keep it with the trans. Everything went great, got his in drives fine, got mine back in and took it for a drive, drove great, trans felt awesome shifted firm even with the converter. Got it all the way no problems, pulled in the driveway and started to reverse to turn around and it would not move. Park is normal, reverse acts like it goes in gear cuz the rpms drop slightly but then it just revs up like in neutral. After i put in a lil fluid to see if that would help it went in reverse the the rpms finally dropped like it should, started to go, but then just stops suddenly and makes a kinda clunk noise (i dont know if that is just the gears in the rearend making noise after it comes to a hault or the trans). Drive or any forward gear starts to go then just revs like its in neutral also. I put it in neutral and it will not roll backwards but it will forwards I dont know, any help at all will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Doug

** edit**
OK Well i finally was going to pull the trans out again today. I wanted to be absolutley sure that my problem was the trans from what everyone said, which was the sun shell. I wanted to be sure because i did a rearend swap and some suspension also. After getting the car back in the drive up on the jack it seemed fine but makin some noise and didnt quite know where from. It rolls back and forth now... and i drove it around the block. It made some noise but couldnt quite figure out where it was coming from. With the car up on the jack and the car in neutral and not running, if u spin the tires forward it is quiet and smooth, if u roll it backwards it sounds rough and noise is comin from the back of the trans.. When takin it around the block the noise i was hearing was only while in first ( sounded like bad brakes or something) when it shifted it stopped.. Do you think this is still the sun shell or what?

Last edited by BadBlackZ; 09-09-2006 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

anybody? even with the car off it will not roll backwards in neutral but will roll forwards..
Old 09-03-2006, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

Did it have reverse before you drove it?
Old 09-04-2006, 12:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NemesisLS1
Did it have reverse before you drove it?
Before i drove it? It came out of my buddies car. We both drove our cars over to my friends house to swap them. I backed out of his driveway like 4 times after test driving it also. The trans worked perfectly when it was pulled. It is not just reverse tho.. Recently i tried removing the negative battery terminal because i thought the tune might have something to do with it. I hooked it back up and it seems to be ok now but have not had the chance to put any miles on it, just drove it forward and back. It would not do that before so well see.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:09 AM
Staging Lane

sunshell is broke prolly
Old 09-04-2006, 10:49 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Its unfortunate but based on what you have said you have broken the base of the sunshell , The transmisson will have to come apart to be repaired
performabuilt
Old 09-04-2006, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

what causes the sunshell to break? I didnt even beat on the thing.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:58 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The splines on it from the rear sungear wear and strip it out. Sometimes it snaps the hub of it as well. I was reading your post eariler and you did something with the battery cables and it backed up! Does it still back up? When you drive it now in forward do you have 2nd and 4th?
Old 09-04-2006, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

Yeah it backed up, i still have to test drive it though to make sure it is ok. The thing is right before i got home i pulled it down into 1st and kinda got on it a lil then shifted up to drive and pretty much coasted into my drive way. I thought my tune might have had something to do with it somehow so i tried resetting the computer by unplugging it. I am gonna see what happens now cuz im about to take it for a drive.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:06 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Let us know!
Old 09-04-2006, 12:10 PM
On The Tree

Ok, thanks for your help. I will post a little later to let u know.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:30 PM
On The Tree

Yeah definately didnt fix it, it did act like it was going to cuz it actually moved when it wouldn't before. How expensive is it to fix a broken sunshell? This trans was built by performance transmissions in IL about 6 months ago, only has about 3000 miles on it.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:10 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

PM sent
Old 09-09-2006, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Update

Search this Thread