Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque converter bolts

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Torque converter bolts

Alright just came into a new problem. What the F--k kind of bolts are these. Ive read that they are 8mm hex head bolts.. Yeah thats real freaking brilliant to put on a torque converter assembly.

Any hints on getting these things out without stripping them? I really cant afford to strip one of these bad boys out now.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thought they were 13 or 15mm bolts? At least that's what mine are?
Old 09-03-2006, 02:34 PM
On The Tree

Ok i bought an 8mm hex head socket and it feels loose on there. Ive read thet they might be torx head? I cant get them to budge and Ive heated them using a torch. Im afraid I will strip them because they are pretty close right now. Any ideas?
Old 09-03-2006, 03:40 PM
Banned

Hmm, 8mm hex head socket? WTF?
Ok when you talk about bolts the thread diameter is the size. Stock torque converter bolts are 10mm. There's a lot of confusion when you mix up the thread diameter and hex size.
Some have allen head bolts, some have hex head bolts, some have hex head with an allen socket in the center.

The allen head bolts have an 8mm socket in them. You need an allen socket to remove them. The hex heads are 15mm.

The best way to remove them is to get STRAIGHT at it through the starter hole and turn it while something holds the crank from turning.

If it strips you're screwed, theres no magic to it.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:18 PM
12 Second Club

pm sent, i solved the problem easily at the expense of the stock converter...
Old 09-03-2006, 05:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They are 8mm allen key head bolts. You have to torch them(Get them red hot) to loosen up and melt the locktite. You should be able to put an impact up there on the front side of the K member and use about 1.5 ft of extensions to go over the k member and have a straight shot at them. With my own personal experience I stripped out the first one not heating them up. After I heated them up they came out soo easily with the impact. Since the other one was stripped i just had to blow a hole in the flexplate and original torque converter to get it out from there. But I figured it's the only other way to get it out and you can buy stock ones cheap if you ever go to sell it.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:41 PM
On The Tree

Ok well right now I dont know what to start with but right now I am going to go to and buy a better 8mm socket and my buddy is bringing his impact over tomorow. I have a torch so I can heat it up red hot but will this damage anything else in the area like flexplate or top bellhousing?

The bolts are the 8mm Hex and are round. The dumbass that installed the trans in D.C I can tell used an impact to put them on so they are very loose. Im just afraid that they will be toast when I use an impact on them.

So if they do strip out what are my options? Ive read that some people are using a bolt extractor? How do these work? And some use chisels and torchs while Spy250 just cut the torque converter off. So **** are there any other ways of taking them off without paying another 600 bucks for converter/flexplate?

Thanks for all your help guys!
Old 09-03-2006, 06:35 PM
12 Second Club

i tried two different kinds of bolt extractors and it just chewed up the bolt. i do it at work all the time with lugnuts but these torque converter bolts just dont want to come out sometimes...
Old 09-03-2006, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

*edit*

Never mind, I was thinking of something else. Then realised that they are allen head. I found one I had chewed a little as well. I couldn't remember how I got it out, so I found it and seen where I pounded a torxbit into it. You might be able to try that as well.

Last edited by WhiteRhino; 09-03-2006 at 06:50 PM.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteRhino
*edit*

Never mind, I was thinking of something else. Then realised that they are allen head. I found one I had chewed a little as well. I couldn't remember how I got it out, so I found it and seen where I pounded a torxbit into it. You might be able to try that as well.
What size torx head did you pound into it?
Old 09-03-2006, 07:17 PM
On The Tree

I always just get out my impact air hammer with a chisel bit,get it right on the edge of the head and bump it a few times.I yet not have one come out with this method.

Joe
Old 09-03-2006, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ssmoov1
I always just get out my impact air hammer with a chisel bit,get it right on the edge of the head and bump it a few times.I yet not have one come out with this method.

Joe
After researching some more I discovered a guy on F-body hideout or one of those with the same problem I am having and he used a bolt remover set. So I am going to be making a trip to sears tomorrow to buy a bunch of **** that I probably should already of had but ill see how that goes. Heres a link to what this guy did.

http://kyfbodies.org/vb/showthread.php?p=135328

Also if I cant get the bolts out this go around tomorrow I am going to cut the converter out or take drastic measures. I plan on buying a new one anyways because this one is pissing me off. What do you guys think a 3200 stall?
Old 09-04-2006, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NemesisLS1
What size torx head did you pound into it?
It was a t-50.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:37 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by ssmoov1

Joe
I used a 10'' chisel & a hammer to break 2 of mine lose.
This worked good Dale
Old 09-05-2006, 11:48 PM
Teching In

I'm not sure if the bolts are different on an LT1, but I just put the boxed end of a wrench on the bolt and tapped the wrench with a hammer and they came right out.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

Alright! I finally got the freaking transmission out. I ended up chopping the legs off of the torque converter to get it off but hey I got it off. Went through 12 blades to cut 3 bolts. 9 craftsman professional and 3 milwaukee tungsten carbine. The carbines were good for the bolts but sucked on the cast iron. Either way it was a pain in the ***!

Now I need to fix my oil leak which I have no idea where it is leaking from... See post:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/571683-where-my-oil-leak.html

and replace the torque converter that I dont have..

Either way it was a pain and I dont recommend this project for anyone without the right tools or good garage to work in. Prefferably not an apartment with f---ing 15 amp breakers.

Cheers!
Old 12-27-2006, 01:39 AM
TECH Regular

good post
Old 12-28-2006, 01:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

On my Yank and Midwest converters, I took new GM Converter Bolts to my installer.
Bolts came out easy on the Stock Converter; had to heat bolts on Yank, then they came out easy. New GM Bolts are still in (current) Midwest converter.

Quick Reply: Torque converter bolts