Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got my TH400 in, got a few driving questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 06:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got my TH400 in, got a few driving questions.

Ok, it's a RMVB TH400 with a brake and 4200 stall. The brake isn't hooked up correctly, but that's not what I'm asking about. When I drive the car normal and shift it, it acts like it doesn't even shift. But, if I'm driving the car normal and flash the converter a little bit while shifting, you can feel it shift. Same for downshifting, you can't feel it, or even see the RPM's climb unless I flash the verter.

Now, when I nail it from a stop, it takes off and the shifts are dead on, just like it's supposed to. If I come out of a light just rolling about 5-8mph and nail it, while in 1st, it'll just rev to about 4200-4500 and slowly pull, like it's pulling from OD. Now, if I come out of a light at 5-8mph and flash the verter just a bit then stomp it, it'll just roast the tires like it's in 1st gear.....can you understand all that?

Someone help me out and let me know what's going on.

Car was an original auto, then went to a manual, now the TH400. The weird thing is that when the car was auto and I put the cam in and had it tuned, it would do the same thing with the 4L60e....but they said it was my TPS sensor. Damn More Performance....

EDIT: the converter is an unlocked converter.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

to start a RMVB does not have any engine breaking so a down shift you will never feel, its not like a normal trans that when your driving if your in say 3rd gear going 65 mph your taching 3000 RPM you let off the gas its drops some but not much, with a RMVB it will drop to idle, as for the shifts it sounds like the converter is loose and just taking up all the RPM 4200 is a lot of converter.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:32 PM
TECH Resident

That is about it.
Driving a RMVB takes some getting used too. I have a 4000 stall and did have 3.73s till I broke the rear.
With a 4000 or larger stall its kinda like a light bulb its either on or off. You kinda have to beat on it to get it to feel right.
You take off slow and its like "why won,t car go?" and then you give it gas to get it to go and its like "whoa! ****......."
its got a learning curve to it.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:47 PM
10 Second Club

I have no problem feeling every shift with my 4800 stall, whether it be part throttle or full throttle it shifts nice and firm. Now different manufactured TC's may feel completely different and it does sound like yours is very loose from your description above..

Dan
Old 09-12-2006, 12:16 PM
Launching!

Thanks guys! I guess this stall is just taking some getting used to. I had a 3600 in my old 4L60e and it was NOTHING like this thing.

Thanks for the feedback. Oh, and one more quick question for you guys with a TBrake.

One wire from button to brake.
Second wire from button to hot source.
Second wire from brake to ground.

Correct? My wires are not color coded for hot/ground, they're both just white. If that matters.

Thanks again guys!
Old 09-12-2006, 03:06 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

My solenoid has 2 white also, it worked with the 1st wire I tried, a coil should work either direction. If something is weird, change wires and see if it works.

Sounds like it should work.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:29 PM
10 Second Club

definetly switch the hot leg imho (the way you described). hot to ground= short btw, don't know how your brake is setup (how many prongs, wires etc..).