Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Welding on a TH400?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 03:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Welding on a TH400?

I was getting a slight leak were the cooler fittings screw into. A nother shop had installed them when they installed the 6AN lines, but I guess they realized they were the wrong type of thread and didn't tighten them down all the way and that was causing a slight leak. My buddy and me didn't know it was the wrong type of thread, and tryed to tighten them to stop the leak, but that caused a few hairline cracks were the fittings screw into.
We are thinking we can just weld the fittings onto the trans, that way theres no leaks and it can take care of the hairline cracks. What do you guys think? We tryed JB weld but that didn't work too well.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:04 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess it wouldn't hurt to try but you're going to have to try pretty damn hard.
The trans is going to have to come out and everything needs to be taken out of it (good time to just get another case). The fittings and the case are going to need to be perfectly clean, any contaminates will cause porosity in the welds, and cast aluminum is goint to hold stuff. It's going to have to be tig welded.
After you pay someone to clean it and tig weld it you will have spent the same money buying a complete core trans with a good case.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:39 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default jw

try installing 1/4 pipe thread to spread the crack and clean with carb cleaner. dry as best as possible and force your epoxy into crack. remove the pipe and do not use tapered threads again. good luck

Quick Reply: Welding on a TH400?