Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does a lighter weight torque converter free up horsepower?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 08:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does a lighter weight torque converter free up horsepower?

Wondering if a lighter weight torque converter frees up horsepower the same as a light weight flywheel does on a manual transmission car. I would suspect it does, but have never heard it mentioned or quantified as to how much it may be worth. Many of the aftermarket converters have a smaller diameter than the stock conveter and are also significantly lighter. Anyone have any knowledge, or dynoed first with a locked stok converter and then re-dynoed (locked) after adding only a converter? If so, what brand, and model, was the converter? Thanks!
Ed
Old 09-28-2006, 04:07 PM
12 Second Club

Yes it makes a difference.

Think rotational mass.

If lighter tires/rims makes a difference, then think what a verter spinning at 5000 rpm will change...

Gotta overcome the inertia, and then also think of the fluid yer slinging around inside that thing...

Also think of windage and "windage trays" for the SBC guys. They gain a lot of HP just by keeping the oil off certain spinning parts that don't need lubrication.

Hell you can even get better HP from changing from a Steele driveshaft to a Carbon Fibre one...
Old 09-29-2006, 09:28 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ouija

Think rotational mass.

If lighter tires/rims makes a difference, then think what a verter spinning at 5000 rpm will change...

Gotta overcome the inertia, and then also think of the fluid yer slinging around inside that thing...

Also think of windage and "windage trays" for the SBC guys. They gain a lot of HP just by keeping the oil off certain spinning parts that don't need lubrication.

Hell you can even get better HP from changing from a Steele driveshaft to a Carbon Fibre one...
Pretty much what I thought. I was just curious what a lighter converter in an auto, or a lighter flywheel in an M6, buys. I suppose just a few, in either case, but it all adds up. Thanks!
Ed
Old 09-29-2006, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Think rotational mass.

yea, not necessarily gaining horse power but like you said better horsepower, or in other words a more efficient kinda horsepower
Old 10-02-2006, 10:00 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 94z28L
yea, not necessarily gaining horse power but like you said better horsepower, or in other words a more efficient kinda horsepower
True. The engine isn't making more HP, but you are getting more HP to the wheels, so your RWHP would increase. The only exception IMO woudl be the windage tray.

I know it's a technical difference, but yer correct.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:27 AM
12 Second Club

True. The engine isn't making more HP, but you are getting more HP to the wheels, so your RWHP would increase. The only exception IMO woudl be the windage tray.

I know it's a technical difference, but yer correct.

i think we have a winner!!!!

Quick Reply: Does a lighter weight torque converter free up horsepower?