Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is my tranny on the way out?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 12:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default is my tranny on the way out?

heres what its doing; first, during hard turn after i complete the turn and start to accelerate the rpms will jump as if i had a converter...second, under wot at shift points it seems sluggish, well, sluggish compared to my friends c5..but that could be his being better built right? but anyway, another thing we noticed is when under the car it seemed as tho the tranny is leaking a little fluid around the front main seal i guess, its really small but its noticable and i cranked it to check fluid and it was a tad low....could all this be due to low fluid or is it on its way out? thanks in advance...
Old 10-02-2006, 12:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like something is wrong with the TC....theres no noise is there?...how bad is the leakage rate? and is it leaking anywhere else?....hows your overdrive, does it slip?
Old 10-02-2006, 01:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

no noise, theres no small puddle or even a sign of a drop after being left overnight in same spot so im going to say small, but its evident it is because tranny is kinda dirty and there is a drop forming, no other leaks that i know of and the od is fine?
Old 10-02-2006, 01:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

my TC came apart on me about a week ago and im finishing up the "built" a4 now....i had the same little "drop" that would seem like its about to drop but never does...nice little red bead...however...my tc began making a ticking noise...almost like a isuzu....but with what you say, it seems to me that that is whats going out in your tranny....doesnt seem to be the clutchs or servos...check the pan for metal
Old 10-02-2006, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

so change tranny fluid and check for metal?
Old 10-02-2006, 09:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

yes you should be able to tell the difference in tranny performance after a flush, filter and fill.....check for metal in the pan and put some pics up if you can.....now, if the better performance doesnt last very long or it starts acting worse you have your answer as to whats up with your tranny