Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny or computer gremlins? (shift problems)

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 11:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny or computer gremlins? (shift problems)

A little info first: Car is a 99 Trans Am with heads, cam, boltons and 3500 stall.

After having my tranny rebuilt with a Probuilt 4L60E kit I noticed that it would flare up and bang the rev limiter on the 2-3 shift. The guy who built it just gave me the run around so I decided to take it to the track and see what it would do even with the 2-3 shift problems.

The following problems only started after taking it to the track:

Problem #1: After doing a burnout it started sputtering and not wanting to idle.. It still does this occasionally but not all the time.

Problem #2: It won't shift into 1st gear (although I can do it manually). When launching it starts in 2nd.

Problem #3: It doesn't downshift hard like it should anymore. Usually at 55-60mph it would downshift hard but now its really soft like its not downshifting to 2nd gear.

Resetting the computer doesn't help.
So I took it and had it scanned for codes and it said their was a problem with the 1-2 shift silenoid. Could that be causing all or most of the problems mentioned above? Could the tranny/computer be stuck in limp mode or something? I'm hoping its something simple like just a silenoid but not sure. What do you guys think?
Old 10-05-2006, 01:41 AM
Teching In

the solenoid sounds like a good starting point... i had the same problem 1-2nd and 3rd to 4th .... how olds your fluid in ur tranny that could be one thing and did the previous owner reprogram the computer or get a tune?
Old 10-05-2006, 02:32 PM
Teching In

The fluid was changed when the tranny was rebuilt and again just a couple of weeks ago. I am the original owner and yes its been professionally tuned with LS1 edit. Thanks for the reply. I'll swap out the silenoids this weekend and see if that fixes it.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Currently have the same problems except with 2-3 shift but only under hard excelleration. Stock trans with 23,000 miles on the clock. In storage for winter so will fix it in the spring.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:48 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Sound like a solinoid is bad what was the exact number for the code ?
also however there could be tuning issues I here alot of people talking about similar problems after install the higher stalls above 2500 stall , Even have run into it with a few of our own customers but once they got the tune right all was fine .
performabuilttransmissions.com
Old 10-05-2006, 04:34 PM
Teching In

Well I had the same converter in there before the tranny was rebuilt and before the problems started coming. Actually I've had the same 3500 stall for several years now with no problems. The shifting problems only started after the tranny rebuild and the shop who did the rebuild has been known to not flush the trannies out good so I'm beginning to think more and more that it is just a silenoid.

For a while I was thinking that the converter wasn't locking up in OD, but last night while researching this topic I noticed several posts that say a faulty 1-2 shift silenoid will cause the tranny to lock out of 1st and 4th gear. I already knew mine wasn't going into 1st on its own but now that I think about it, I believe the converter has been locking up just fine all along and its just not shifting into 4th gear. What I originally thought was 4th gear was just the converter locking in 3rd. Make sense? Not sure what the code was but the guy said it was definitely the 1-2 silenoid.

One thing I'm still unsure about is the 2-3 shift flaring up and bouncing off the rev limiter before shifting. Could this also be caused by the 1-2 shift silenoid? I've checked everything else (fluid level etc) and the only thing I could think of is maybe the clutch clearance isn't correct but I'm no expert on automatics so I'm hoping its something simple like a silenoid that will cure all the problems.

Anyway, I'm definitely gonna swap them out and see what happens. I'll post the results. Thanks again for the replies.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:48 PM
Teching In

Anyone know the part number for the 1-2 and 3-4 shift solenoids? At advance he gave me two different numbers:

TSS17 (1-2)
TSS34 (3-2?)

Which do I need to get? I was under the impression that both were the same. And why does it have a 3-2 solenoid instead of a 3-4? Is the TSS17 considered to be Solenoid "A" and the TSS34 Solenoid "B"? If so I'll get both of them.

(edit) nevermind I ordered them off of ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWN%3AIT

Last edited by needsomeinfo73; 10-05-2006 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:45 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I see you ordered them , was going to say they are the same part number , good luck
Performabuilt (you never did say the number of the code )
www.performabuilttransmissions.com
Old 10-06-2006, 02:54 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

If you are having problems with one of my rebuild kits? Call me, and I will help you out.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:39 PM
Teching In

performabuilt,
He never told me the error code.. Just that it was the 1-2 shift solenoid. Thanks for the replies.

Dana (PBA),
To be honest I don't think theres any problem with your rebuild kit. I think my problems are due to the guy who did the build for me. But thanks for offering to help.. If the solenoid doesn't fix it I'll give you a call and maybe you can point me in the right direction. Thanks again.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:38 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Well the thing is depending on what the code was it can be interpreted several ways , one code would be for solinod performance, meaning the presure manifold sensor did not see the signal but the soliond turned on electrically and from and electrical standpoint was fine , This could mean a bad stuck on or off solinod but could also mean a stuck shift valve in the valve body which will set the same code ,
Another possibility would be that he got a code for and electrical failure of the solinoid (open or shorted to ground)This could mean a bad solinoid,or a pinched or cut wire, I have seen this code come up from everything from the harness wires being bolted under the pan to the solinoids being physically unplugged and or the harness conector to the transmission being bad .
So heres some questions the code should turn on the engine light , start engine and put the car in drive , Do you get a light imediatley ?If not drive the car when does the light come on ,
More than likley it will be the solinoid but i would hate for you to pull the pan replace them only to find its a stuck shift valve , The code number would really help be sure but we may be able to determine this with the information I just ask
thanks
www.performabuilttransmissions.com
Old 10-09-2006, 06:20 PM
Teching In

The light comes on as soon as I start the car.

Thanks for the info. I will call him and ask him if he has the exact code tomorrow.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:03 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

if the light come on when you start the car its a hard fault should not be hard to find
www.performabuilt.com
Old 10-18-2006, 04:03 PM
Teching In

Replaced the silynoids today and it fixed the 'no 1st & no 4th' problem.. No more SES light either.. Now I just gotta figure out why its flaring up and bouncing off the rev limiter on the 2-3 shift (at WOT) and I'll be good to go.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:26 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

if the ***** just off wot feel good I would look at the tune,

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-18-2006, 11:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by performabuilt
if the ***** just off wot feel good I would look at the tune,

Well I would agree if it were just reving too high and hitting the rev limiter,, but its like it lets go about 300-400 rpms before it ever even gets close to the rev limiter and then flares up and bounces off of it before shifting to the 3rd. Still sound like the tune?
Old 10-18-2006, 11:31 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

No That sounds mechanical . excesive 3-4 clutch clearance a possibility ,and improperly done shift kit or some other reason causing the band to release to premature to the 3-4 clutch applying this give you a rev bump effect since with the band released and the 3-4 clutch not applied you actually go back to first momentarily ,
What servo are you running?

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-19-2006, 04:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by performabuilt
No That sounds mechanical . excesive 3-4 clutch clearance a possibility ,and improperly done shift kit or some other reason causing the band to release to premature to the 3-4 clutch applying this give you a rev bump effect since with the band released and the 3-4 clutch not applied you actually go back to first momentarily ,
What servo are you running?
Yeah the 3-4 clutch clearance is what I was afraid of.. The guy who did the rebuild swears its all correct (already been through this with him) so I guess I'm just stuck with that problem.

Anyway, heres the Probuilt kit I have with a list of all the parts:
http://www.700r4l60e.com/store/custo...&cat=22&page=1

Thanks again for your help.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:40 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Maybe Maybe not , What servo are you using 1-2 , ?

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-19-2006, 05:16 PM
10 Second Club

What gear are you racing in? Have you tried leaving it in OD and see if it still hits the rev limiter? It could be a problem with the overrun gear applied on the 2-3 shift causing a pressure drop going WOT in "D".

Quick Reply: Tranny or computer gremlins? (shift problems)