Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

maybe it's broke? or maybe it just doesn't like me...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 08:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy maybe it's broke? or maybe it just doesn't like me...

soo... '99 TA, very slightly modded (intake, cutout 3.23's/no stall(was next on list))

goofin around the other night and launch the car at about 85-90% throttle, BAD BAD HORRID wheelhop... I am on it for less then a second though... transmission isn't working after... By working I mean, it's in OD and I depress the gass again and nothing happens other then engine revving... Drop it into drive... same thing...

So my car is coasting now and I am a half a block from my friends house so I just coast to his place and pull over, not the right thing to do as I should have made sure I didn't puke transmission or rear end everywhere but.... oh well...

Get to my friends place and look for and fluids, nothing... Everything is dry... So I start the car back up, look again, still dry... drop car into O/D= Nothing, Drive= Nothing....

Drop into second and give it some gas... tires spinning and im launching with one leg still hanging out the door.... I really didn't think it was gonna just start working...

So after testing I can take off in 1 or 2, then after 20mph I can put it into drive and let off gas, after a quick, quick moment it will engage 3rd... then I have to accelerate to 35'ish mph to be able to move the shift to O/D then it will engage 4th...

so quick run down...

Wheel hop pretty bad for nanoseconds....

O/D = Transmission doesn't work
Drive= Transmission doesn work
2 = transmission works and will shift from 1st to 2nd on it's own...
1 = transmission works fine... for the whole gear...

above 20'ish I can move shifter into drive and it will engage 3rd after a brief pause, above 35'ish I can move the shifter into O/D and after another brief pause it will engage 4th...

any ideas?
Old 10-10-2006, 09:47 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

You have broken the rear or called low roller clutch ,It only holds in auto first gear by placing the shifter in manual low one you bypass it by applying the low reverse clutch allowing the car to move forward once your fast enough to get past 1st its not needed and you can continue on , Which means your in the market for a transmission or a rebuild
sorry for the bad news
please if you elect to purchase one check out our site we have some very good deal there for some excellent products
www.performabuilt.com
thanks

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-10-2006, 10:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ya i think its time for a rebuild, check at TCI for a rebuild kit i bought mine from them for $350 pretty cheap if you ask me. But im also getting a 5 pinion rear planetary, a 3500 stall, and a beast sunshell so i know the tranny is going to be strong. you should prob do the same thing just makes it stronger.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got an appointment at 7am to head over to:

Deleted non sponsor link

to get is looked at... place was recommended by a co-worker and the guy was pretty professional and knowledgeable over the phone... Anyone ever heard of them?

Last edited by JNorris; 10-10-2006 at 07:21 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:58 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should ask them if they specialize in high performance units. Also will they warrenty it if you abuse it? Most tranny shops will not. Also see if they will give you a list of parts that they would use on your rebuilt. I hope that is close to one of our level 4 rebuilts if not keep looking. Take some time and look over our web page. Vince