Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yank converter problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 12:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Yank converter problem?

Im having an issue that i believe is the converter. I posted earlier but now have more details. When the car goes locked in 4th under little to no load its fine. But when you give any amount of throttle just to speed up it shakes like the converter clutch is slipping. Its fine in 3rd. I had the clutch tuned to lock at 45 in 4th. Its a yank 4000 only 6months old. Any ideas???
Old 10-14-2006, 01:16 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The converter is locked in 3rd gear also and it has no idea what gear it is in, it would sound as you have a 2-4 band worn or very low TCC signal from a worn TCC bore in the valve body
even a plugged filter can do this as well as non OEM fluid
call us for more info
Old 10-14-2006, 03:21 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would drop the pan and see what it looks like in there. Post some pics. Also when it shakes as it does keep your foot steady on the gas and lightly touch the breaks. This should unlock the tcc and your tach should rise. If the shake goes away you have a tcc issue.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:23 PM
10 Second Club

Ive done that and the rpms do rise. I just got back from the track and i drove it there. It seems the problem does not happen all the time.. 50% of the time it was fine and then it would go back to shaking. Ill drop the pan and see if there is anything obvious. Would this trans just take a regular stock replacement filter? How often are you supposed to change the filter?? If i need a new trans how much could i get the top of the line 4l60e from FLT? Thanks Vince ive heard nothing but the best about you.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:08 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SPRAYED 01
Ive done that and the rpms do rise. I just got back from the track and i drove it there. It seems the problem does not happen all the time.. 50% of the time it was fine and then it would go back to shaking. Ill drop the pan and see if there is anything obvious. Would this trans just take a regular stock replacement filter? How often are you supposed to change the filter?? If i need a new trans how much could i get the top of the line 4l60e from FLT? Thanks Vince ive heard nothing but the best about you.
Try doing the break test when it's shaking and does it go away? As far as a filter if you have a stock pan then yes it would take the regular filter. If you do not have a stock pan then you will need to take it to match it up. Most people who race hard will change their trans oil every other engine oil change and will change the filter every other trans oil change. I think every 10-15,000 miles for the filter would be fine. Our best of the best trans can cost you up to about $3400. I don't know if all this would be needed for your application. It would include the level 5 4l65e, billet 2wd output shaft, vac-mod,and the sonnax second gear servo. The only other thing to discuss here would be what to do about the tc. At this point we need to find out as to why your car is doing what it is doing. I'm not saying that the tc or the trans is bad here but we need to know where the source of the problem is coming from. You could be having tuning or engine misfires causing this as well. Are you getting any engine or trans codes?
Old 10-15-2006, 08:31 AM
10 Second Club

No codes, had Dan at FLP take a look at the tune on saturday also. The engine seems to run fine. Except that at the track yesterday i was down 7mph on motor and 10mph on the spray. the car starts and drives fine but just feels slow. The trans shifts perfect when at the track it just plain old feels stock.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:59 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Well maybe we should take a look at the trans and go from there. It could be an issue with the trans. When was it done by DR EVIL?
Old 10-15-2006, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Down MPH = Trans Slipping.

-Geoff
Old 10-15-2006, 09:07 AM
10 Second Club

It was done about 14 months ago. And its there level 3, it has about 5k on it.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:45 PM
10 Second Club

Also if im going to change the filter should i go ahead and take the valve body out and try to clean it out? If so does anyone have the tq specs for the body and pan?
Old 10-15-2006, 06:38 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

98-108inlbs would be the spec's for both.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:31 PM
10 Second Club

FLT,
When i take the valve body out is it easy to identify the tcc lock up soleniod. If so is there an easy way to test it or clean it? What should i clean the valve body with? Thanks in advance you guys have been great.