Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque converter install and brand questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 07:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Torque converter install and brand questions

Ok, first off is installation. So far of the shops locally that I have asked the price of an install for a torque converter on my car have said about $375-400+fluids. I'm a college student so money is tight, but I would really like to get a torque converter with how much you guys say it makes your car feel better. So my question is, could my dad and I(he knows a pretty decent amount about cars too, he did engine swaps and stuff on them when he was younger) out in our shed, which is basically a huge garage, with a hydrolic jack, a couple jack stands and a a couple ramps, install the torque converter ourselves? How hard would it be? If it's possible I would like to do it that way because I would save a lot of money.

The other question is, what brand should I go with? I was thinking Fuddle since the price is so good(money again , I'm always going price for performance). I would like to get one somewhere in the 3200-3600 stall range that still drives almost stock under normal driving conditions, but still gives you a big punch when you hit it. What would be a good company for that? Would fuddle be like that? I heard Yank's converters are tight, so they drive well in a daily driver, but I don't know about fuddle's.

Thanks for the help
Old 10-21-2006, 07:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

www.modernmusclecars.net has a TC install thats been around for a while. Personally I paid $300 a couple years ago to have a shop do mine, depends on your area, some people get them done for less. Since money is a factor remember you might/probably will need some tuning after the install, also I'd install a cooler - did that myself.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have decided on a yank. Some people are very pleased about the fuddle conveters but I have also heard alot of negative recently. Do some searching and decide for yourself but I know I would like to only do the swap once. I was kinda thinking of taking my car somewhere but I know I can do it myself and put that money towards a tune. If I was you I would borrow or buy a transmission jack. I think you could find one cheap and it would make things easier and safer for you. I have a friend with one so I will be using his but I dont think I would do it without one. Just remember some things are not worth being cheap on cause it can cost you more in the long run.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes you can do it, especially with your dad's experience. I installed mine with a friends help following the write up on modernmusclecars.net. It takes awhile but really is not that hard. I would say go for it and save your money.

Personally I recommend Yank as far as brand, I have a SS3800 and have been very pleased. Do plenty of research and you will be fine.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:38 PM
TECH Resident

You can do it your self.. Just follow the write up above and your golden.. I just did mine all by my self no help spread it out over a few days and it was easy.. As far as Brand I would go Yank or Vig.. I would stay away from fuddle too many horror stories lately.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:59 AM
12 Second Club

Alright, well I guess if I can do it myself then it will save me the ~$400, which would pay for the extra $$$ for a yank, but then I would have one that would be sure to be a good one. Thanks guys What do you think for a stall? I have no cam as of right now. I plan to get full bolt on's, and then probably a cam later on, but not a huge one. Probably nothing a 228/228 or something. I also use this car as a daily driver, so I would like it to operate as normal as possible(same reason for getting a cam of that size).
Old 10-22-2006, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with a Yank or a Vigilaunte
Old 10-22-2006, 01:08 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

You should seriously give ours a look also , They are plenty comparable or exceed either of those ,

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-22-2006, 05:34 PM
12 Second Club

Are your converters tight for normal driving?

Does anyone have any opinions about those ^^^?

Quick Reply: Torque converter install and brand questions