Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy a shift kit??

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 01:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buy a shift kit??

I was wondering should I buy a shift kit? And is it cost alot to have someone install it? I was just wondering if that is something you even need or just a waste of money.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:19 PM
Teching In

Just buy a predator & adjust the shift pressure with that...you don't need to take the tranny apart.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tiresmoker
Just buy a predator & adjust the shift pressure with that...you don't need to take the tranny apart.
That's a pretty simple fix right there.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by tiresmoker
Link me over to where I would buy one. I just dont wanna buy a cheap *** $70 part and it cost a shitload more to install it.

Thanx for the feedback
Old 10-25-2006, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Automaticfastic
Link me over to where I would buy one. I just dont wanna buy a cheap *** $70 part and it cost a shitload more to install it.

Thanx for the feedback
Well, if money is the issue, you might be able to just get the shift kit done for cheaper. I'm sure a lot of people carry Predator... they're like $400 from Thunder Racing, but you can do more than just change the shift pressure with the programmer.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:11 PM
Launching!

http://www.lmperformance.com/2005/1.html

that one says you have to remove the valve body. What the hell is that and is that expensive to pay for someone to do this. As you can tell I dont need to be working on any car with my knowledge.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:51 PM
12 Second Club

I had a Transgo kit put in my car..........now it short shifts at 5200 from first to second I should have left it alone!
Old 10-25-2006, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, i'm more than happy with my shift kit. I paid $93 for the kit from PBA and $50 to have it installed, it was money well spent. It's a good up grade in parts for these trannys, i'd do the kit over raising the line pressure any day of the week.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ls1 engine, 4l60e tranny, AJE Tubular K member, Hooker LT, baby cam, stall to 3400, open cut-outs to be cadillac quite, SFC, Air Lid(need a new one). Soon to come, Tranny cooler, 3.73 in a limited slip rear end, Leather seats,T-stat, remote start after a badly needed dyno tune.

-------------------------------------------------

If those are your mods the shift behavior can be worked on during your tune, and a Predator would be like throwing $400 in the garbage. There would be some merit in buying the predator if it is a shop that uses them as part of their dyno package, but otherwise the tune completely over-rules it.

However you look at it, if you want tire chirping shifts then you are looking at a shift kit. The stall converter softens your shifts up, and a shift kit can help restore some firmness.

However you want to look at it if those are really your mods you should just leave it alone and have the shifting tweaked during your dyno tune.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by todddchi
Ls1 engine, 4l60e tranny, AJE Tubular K member, Hooker LT, baby cam, stall to 3400, open cut-outs to be cadillac quite, SFC, Air Lid(need a new one). Soon to come, Tranny cooler, 3.73 in a limited slip rear end, Leather seats,T-stat, remote start after a badly needed dyno tune.

-------------------------------------------------

If those are your mods the shift behavior can be worked on during your tune, and a Predator would be like throwing $400 in the garbage. There would be some merit in buying the predator if it is a shop that uses them as part of their dyno package, but otherwise the tune completely over-rules it.

However you look at it, if you want tire chirping shifts then you are looking at a shift kit. The stall converter softens your shifts up, and a shift kit can help restore some firmness.

However you want to look at it if those are really your mods you should just leave it alone and have the shifting tweaked during your dyno tune.
I completley agree with you in the 1st paragraph, but in the 2nd paragraph the comment about "tire chirping shifts" isn't completely true and it's what usually scares people away from getting a shift kit. It all depends on how it's setup. Yes, you can get harsh tire chirping shifts, but it can be setup to be barely noticable under normal shifts and nice and crisp at WOT all with the same kit...it's all in the setup
Old 10-25-2006, 11:56 PM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

That is how I setup my modified Trans-Go Performance Shift kits, "to be barely noticable under normal shifts and nice and crisp at WOT".
Old 10-26-2006, 12:08 AM
On The Tree

raising line pressure is a bad idea. Go with the transgo
Old 10-27-2006, 09:09 AM
Launching!

I guess I will see how the cars doing after a tune. Thanx for the input.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:20 PM
TECH Resident

I just installed a shift kit two days ago. First time doing anything with the transmission, and it took about 13 hrs. Startede at like 2 I had to stop at about 10:30 because I small screen broke. Started at about 2 the next day and wwas finished by 4. If you can follow instructions you can do it. I found some online writeups from people who installed it that help me alot. I will post them if your going to attempt this yourself.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jzzamesb
raising line pressure is a bad idea. Go with the transgo
Would you care to expand on that?
Old 10-27-2006, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's an age old debate, but the basics of it is that line pressures vary from transmission to transmission. Not only do they vary but the capacity of each individual transmission varies as well.

This is due to production tolerances - variations from transmission to transmission. So it is generally felt that just jacking up the line pressure is not a good idea. You can argue all day about "well, just xxxx much should be ok..." but it is what it is. You can choose to believe it or not.

Far as the tunability of a shift kit, I didn't mean to imply they HAD to be setup for tire chirping shifts... it's just usually when most people ask about them... that is what they are looking for.

Originally Posted by monicaz28
Would you care to expand on that?