Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd but - Differential Fluid in Tranny ?!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 09:58 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Odd but - Differential Fluid in Tranny ?!?

Alright guys,
I've been having a lot of problems with my torque converter since the install. I talked to John at fuddle and one of the things he recommended was adding rear differential fluid to the transmission (not a lot, he said a couple of oz's.) in order to thicken the fluid.

Other things he recommended were making sure the transmission was filled, increasing line pressure at the point of lockup (I increased the overall line pressure before, but am going to go in and try to see if I can't increase it at lockup), and reasing the lock up point (which I did before I talked to him as well). The other suggestions was that a shift kit could help.

If it turns out it is a bum torque converter he said he would replace it as well as cover install - so that I am at least very happy with if something is really wrong.

Had anyone ever heard of or used this? I'm very nervous to stick things where they shouldn't go ( )
About had a hear tattack the only time i've seafoamed a car.

Anyways, thanks for the help and any suggestions about this, or other ideas.
Thanks
Old 10-26-2006, 10:09 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

well I have heard of using positraction additive in autos years ago to eliminate converter chatter,I have not heard of adding diferential fluild, gear oil to and automatic, Though Im sure that a small amount wouldnt hurt anything,Im not sure what the goal is , Thickening the fluild might reduce leakage in some rings and seals but you would have to use a substaintial amount to really have any effect , This in and of itself would be no more than a coverup for a real problem , Much like the old car lot trick of putting aircraft 70 weight oil in a car to cover up oil consumption or saw dust in a differential to keep the rear quite ,
Adding a little while vehical running as i said probably wont hurt anything but I dont think I would take that action personally , I would find the real problem ,
If your trying to get rid of converter chatter I would get some smart blend or lube guard auto transmissions aditive instead , Just my opinion .

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-26-2006, 10:12 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

PS if you do decide to do it make sure car running and add slowly Im not sure the pump would survive a hit of pure gear iol 80w90 ?

Call 888-744-6542