Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front seal??? 4l60e

Old 11-03-2006, 07:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front seal??? 4l60e

My friend put a stall in my car about three months ago (vig 3200 = nice) anyways I noticed a medium size puddle of fluid on my garage floor about a week later. I thought I put too much ATF in it and it was leaking out - no big deal. Then I noticed it again about a month later, same size. when parked on a down slope.

I put it up on a lift and thought it was leaking from the dip stick tube because we had trouble getting it back in during the swap and there was fluid all over that area. I put some gasket sealer around the base of the tube and it seemed to help but now I'm getting a spot leaking. Took it to the tranny shop and they said the front seal was bad = $500 to fix.

Is this a pain to replace and does that sound right. I have access to a lift and buddy with good skills if he ever returns a phone call but I know very little about tranny's.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:03 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Its not to hard to do but do verify that is what it is some shops call the pump oring the seal and thats a bit harder, But in either case if you can change a converter you should be able to handle it

Call 888-744-6542

Old 11-04-2006, 09:17 AM
11 Second Club

I'm thinking it's the dipsticks rubber boot. Upon start up after my TC install I was leaking fluid like a sieve. Yanked the tranny back out and the boot was sheared in half, with the other piece in the pan. I would pull the tranny and check that first. Then If it was in fact the boot, Put the tube into the tranny when it's still on the ground, then jack it up slowly. Make sure the brackets not bent, because that's a real bitch to mate back up with the block. I think what happens with that boot , is that it gets soft overtime b/c of heat, so its probably a good idea to replace the boot anytime you yank your tranny. It's 5$ worth of insurance, that will save you a lot of work. Hope this helps.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:09 PM
On The Tree

what do you mean the bracket is not bend? which bracket do you mean?
Old 11-05-2006, 05:44 AM
11 Second Club

The dipstick bracket. Make sure you do not bend it or it's a PIA to get the bolt through the bracket onto the block.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:42 AM
On The Tree

ah yes, already encountered that. I am going to give this a try tonight....father,son.....holy spirit!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: front seal??? 4l60e