Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny problems need advice...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 06:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tranny problems need advice...

The other day I was driving down the freeway about 75 converter was locked up and all was fine. All all of a sudden I hear a clunking noise and the engine started revvving.. I pulled over the the shoulder and with the car in gear "D" engine would just rev, put the car in "R" engine would rev. Put it park and then back in "D" (when going into D I did not feel the tranny go into gear like usual) car would just rev...

My first though was that the TC came unbolted. I just put a new one in myself. So I get it towed home and pop the inspection cover an noticed the TC was still bolted to the flex plate and the flex plate was bolted to the crank.. SO I am guessing somethin inside the tranny popped.. Any experts have any clues? I have a real bad feeling a rebuild is headed my way..
Old 11-06-2006, 09:30 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Well it does sound that way Losing everything at once like that I would say for what ever reason the pump is broken ,You can verify this by unhooking one of the lines at the cooler or radiator andstarting car momentarily , if no fluild flows that will be the answer, Unfortunatly if thats the case you probably damaged at the very least the hub on the converter too ,
sorry to be the bearer of bad news,
If you would please take a moment and look at the link bellow at what we have to offer

Call 888-744-6542

Old 11-07-2006, 09:53 AM
FormerVendor

Joel,
I agree. It sounds like a broken pump. Another way to check is to check the fluid level on the dipstick, then start up the car and see if the fluid level drops on the dipstick. If it doesn't change, then your pump is broken.
Kevin
Old 11-07-2006, 09:55 AM
TECH Resident

Any ideas how the pump broke? I drove the car almost 4000 miles after the conveter install. I measured and made sure the converter was on the pump before I installed it..
Although I did have Rock-on replace the front pump bushing before I put the TC in..
Old 11-07-2006, 10:05 AM
12 Second Club

my sounds like the same thing that happened to my car. my car would sometimes move a little in first but then just rev.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:10 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99SeanWS6
my sounds like the same thing that happened to my car. my car would sometimes move a little in first but then just rev.
Mine too.. except it would not move at all!!

Let me ask you all this..Wwhile I was on the side of the road waiting for the tow truck I had the car running for about 2 minuteds cause it was cold outside.. Do you think running it like that with no pump screwd up the tranny or converter?
Old 11-07-2006, 10:33 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Well there would have been no lube ,But in any case to replace the pump you going to see the only thing it really could have damaged the input shaft and stator bushings

Call 888-744-6542

Old 11-07-2006, 10:39 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Well there would have been no lube ,But in any case to replace the pump you going to see the only thing it really could have damaged the input shaft and stator bushings
So whatever route I end up going I will need to get conveter cut and clean?
Old 11-07-2006, 11:19 AM
FormerVendor

Joel,
There is a good likelihood that the pump gear damaged the torque converter hub. You can look at it and make that determination once it's removed. I'm sorry to hear about your bad luck.
Kevin
Old 11-07-2006, 11:21 AM
12 Second Club

if it is the pump, is it likely to have damaged anything inside the transmission? i bought a FLP trans about a year before this happened and dont wanna have to shell out another 2k+ for a new one.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99SeanWS6
if it is the pump, is it likely to have damaged anything inside the transmission? i bought a FLP trans about a year before this happened and dont wanna have to shell out another 2k+ for a new one.
I would like to know as well..

Also does anyone think this failure was a result if an inproperly installed TC..Like I said I measured it and made sure I have the right amount of clearance and Had 4000 miles on the clock after the converter install..

I also had rock-on re-place the front pump bushing to. Could this failure be a result of that??
Old 11-08-2006, 10:03 AM
12 Second Club

ttt for the last questions
Old 11-08-2006, 10:05 AM
TECH Resident

What happens when you put into first?? just wondering do you still get it to rev or does it roll?
Old 11-08-2006, 10:35 AM
12 Second Club

mine with just rev
Old 11-08-2006, 11:06 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

yes improperly installed converter is the most likley cause this will be able to be determined once pump is dissassembled and it and converter inspected .
even though the car drove a while after install , the converter could have gotten up on top of the gear then when car started poped off but still making considerable stress damage.
Any time you install a converter note two things besides clicks and measurements when you bolt the tranny to the engine the converter should turn freely and you should have to pull converter up against flex plate.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 11-08-2006, 11:50 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Any time you install a converter note two things besides clicks and measurements when you bolt the tranny to the engine the converter should turn freely and you should have to pull converter up against flex plate.
I did the converter turned freely, and I had to pull the converter up to the flex plate. I hand tightend all three converter bolts, and then a final pass to factory spec.

LIke I said I also had rock-on replace the front pump bushing before I put the new converter in. Could this have had anything to do with the pump failing?

BTW: I am going to verify tonight by pulling the cooler lines.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:02 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I mean there is the possibility the pump just simply broke I mean it does happen , And As I alo beleave i said there are a couple other possibilites besides pump its just easiest to check it first , the other possibilites are broken input shaft or drum , Stripped conveter splines,Damaged failed converter,but check the pump first with removing the line since thats easy and the only thing that can be tested without pulling the unit which of course ultimatley you will have to do anyway

Call 888-744-6542

Old 11-08-2006, 07:36 PM
TECH Resident

Well I pulled the cooler lines tonight an sure enough nothing came out.. Pump blew.. Thanks for all the help guys.. Time to start saving my pennies...
Old 11-09-2006, 01:38 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

sorry to hear that and keep us in mind when you have all those pennies together lol
and your welcome

Call 888-744-6542

Old 11-17-2006, 10:26 PM
TECH Resident

Found out the reason my pump/tranny went out...
Attached Thumbnails Tranny problems need advice...-1.jpg