Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny coolers

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 12:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny coolers

I'm lookin for some pics of installed tranny coolers. Which route did you take and where did you install it?
Old 11-10-2006, 12:53 PM
TECH Regular

Heres a picture of one in front of the radiator. Its mounted right behing the hood latch.

[/
Old 11-10-2006, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will take a couple pics later. When we did mine I have never done one yet I had my friend help me and it really wasnt as hard as I thought. We setup the new cooler to run with the stock one. The hardest thing was getting those damn plasting things through the fans into the radiator to secure the cooler.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:32 PM
12 Second Club

yeah, pics would be awesome, im in the market for a stall and tranny cooler too
Old 11-10-2006, 04:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Picture perfect. How exactly is it mounted on top of the radiator like that? But wouldn't that restrict a little bit of the factory radiator airflow? I've heard of people mounting it under the car for cool ground air, and also behind the a/c condensor? More pics would be great!
Old 11-10-2006, 09:23 PM
11 Second Club

Below is a copy and paste from another one of my posts. I'm running the 70274 cooler, it is 11x11x1.5"

It is gonna cost you a little more to do it, but I think it's well worth it just to go ahead and get the steel braided lines. If you PM Madman, he sells a kit that includes a 11"x11"x1-1/2" cooler with NPT fittings, a foot of -6AN steel braided hose, and a couple of fittings to get everything all tied together. I ran my lines from the tranny, up to the front and stayed away from the long tubes, over the A-arm and up around the bottom of the radiator/AC condenser. I had some line left over so I layed it in the lip in front of the condenser and then looped my lines up into the 90 degree fittings that went into the cooler. I drilled 2 holes in the car right above where the air dam bolts up, and fastened the bottom of the cooler in there. I also bent the cooler back on the top end so it would be leaning back towards the AC condenser. I haven't yet fastened the top of the cooler. (I had just finished up most of this a few days ago.) I'm trying to figure out a way to do that and still make it look somewhat "clean".

Here are a few pics...they aren't real great. I took them with the car on the floor, I wish now I had taken some with it on the jackstands, for better pic quality purposes.

In the first pic, you see the cooler is mounted on the passenger side of the car. I had to move some plastic out of the way of the AC condenser in order to get the cooler to fit in there. I guess you could trim the plastic and put it back in there but I just pulled it out.

Here is another shot from above, this is how I ran the lines up and over top the cooler to the fittings. Like I said this was mainly to get the slack out of the lines.

Here is a shot from underneath, you can see it is just above where the air dam is bolted onto the car. If you look to the top of this pic you will see the braided lines coming out of the cooler to come down and lay behing the cooler in the lip in front of the AC condenser. Just be sure if you go this route that you do some test fitting. That will save you the headache of having to move something due to clearence issues. Hope this helps.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the great help. It helps me out a lot but unfortunately i have my SSRA that goes in that exact direction.

And thanks for the steel braided hose idea. I have a 16ft SS braided hose layin around but damn it it's 4AN!
Old 11-11-2006, 05:51 AM
Staging Lane

You can use an a/c condensor.

It will bolt in rather than using plastic ties.
Lots of surface area and the bone yards are full of them.
Clean it out good and bolt it in.
Try to get one that the a/c compressor didn't die of the black death.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:03 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is on the right side (as you drive) of the a/c condensor. With a big 900 cfm fan on top of it that turns on at 150 degrees. Perma cool by the way.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
Mine is on the right side (as you drive) of the a/c condensor. With a big 900 cfm fan on top of it that turns on at 150 degrees. Perma cool by the way.
Do you happen to have a trans temp gauge and what kind of difference can you see with it on and off?
Old 11-11-2006, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just installed my tranny cooler braided line,B&M cooler and Dyno Tune temp gauge i'll get pics up to night
BTLFEDSS
Old 11-11-2006, 05:20 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian2006
Do you happen to have a trans temp gauge and what kind of difference can you see with it on and off?
I do not have a temp gauge. I do know everytime I drive my car, the tranny cooler fan comes on (after a while). So the temps go above 150 pretty quickly.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the help guys. anyone else?
Old 11-12-2006, 07:19 PM
11 Second Club

I don't know if it helps but I just installed a TCI maxEffort StreetFighter Converter inmy TBSS and I used a TCI deep/Finned Pan and a TorcFlo 11"x11.5"x3/4" plate style cooler and scanning showed me (on new DR's that gave me a rearend ratio of about 4.90) on a 70f day running between 160-171f beating the **** out of it for 20min, all out 3 gear runs from a dig.. driving around in traffic was only 153-157f and at idle went down to 143f in a few minutes with my Efans on.. I installed my cooler in front of the condenser, but it's pretty blocked by the bumper, only getting air flow from the scoop underneath and the fans when on.. I think that's a decent number on a warm day given the DR's traction, high stall launches and ripping through the gears..

I would (if you're not too low) get a deep pan and a cooler...
oh and by the way, I wrapped the Y-Pipe with header wrap to keep the radiating heat at idle from affecting it too much... I cut the factory tubing & flared the ends & double clamped the high temp Power steering return line (heard that was the best to use, outside of steel braided) Good Luck

PS we have a very thin/weak radiator, don't think it's "truck tough" I bet you guys have a higher capacity Radiator than we do..maybe that's why they run that Clutch fan from the factory, not being worried about overheating with that Windmill on there..

Last edited by TonyGXP; 11-12-2006 at 07:26 PM.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:18 PM
TECH Addict

Has anyone tried an Earls Oil cooler for a tranny cooler ???

And whats consider a good tranny cooler ???
Im in the market for one right now.

And I dont mean to hijack the thread but I dont want to make another Tranny cooler post.