Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60-e rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 03:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60-e rebuild

ok so as of right now, park nuetral and reverse work. none of the forward gears work. it all started when my car would slip and over rev from first to second. then it got to the point where it would rarely even shift from 1-2 at WOT. also, on a couple of occasions, i would shift the car into reverse and it wouldnt move, i would rev the motor up a little bit and it wasnt like it was in nuetral, because the car torqued up a bit, and clunked into reverse when i hit the gas a little bit, and when i tried nuetral, the car moved forward. this only happend a couple times. now the car doesnt move forward at all. when i shift from nuetral to drive, the rpm's drop a LITTLE bit but not as much as they do when you normally go into gear. in any forward drive gear, the motor just revs up and the car doesnt move. any idea what could have caused this?? reagardless, it needs to be fixed. replacing it with a th400 or 6 speed is out of the question. im looking at rebuild kits and such, and was wondering if anyone has any knowledge about rebuilding the 4l60e and if an overhaul kit would do the job.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:43 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

An overhaul kit would probably help. We do offer them or rebuilts if you need one. There is a pretty good chance that you have a broken forward piston or a broken forward accumulator piston. Have you tried to move your shifter to any ofthe low ranges? Let us know if there is anything we can do for you. Vince
Old 11-18-2006, 03:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, none of the other low ranges work. no forward gears work. what components are necessary for a situation like mine in terms of a rebuild kit? lol sorry im not that experienced with automatic transmissions.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:57 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The first thing you might want to locate is an ATSG book for the rebuild process for the 4l60e. I can get one for you if you request it throught the web page. Go to the info web address and make a request. It's that simple. Also you are going to want check out our on line store for parts. To get an idea on what you might need. Look at the build sheets for the different units and this will give you a list of some of the parts that you might require. The level 4 list is a good place to start for head and cam cars. The level 3 is for bolt on cars. Check it out! Vince
Old 11-18-2006, 04:09 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Hi Like vince we will be happy to help you in anyway we can , However your statment that you are not very experenced with automatic transmissions leads me to suggest you consider purchasing a unit from us preferably o course but also there are many other good sponsors on here also , I dont suggest a novice attempt a rebuilt of a 4l60e ,Generally when I see people try it ussually ends up costing them more than a unit would , But if you do attempt it and have any questions please dont hesitate to ask .
thanks

Call 888-744-6542

Old 11-19-2006, 09:51 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 95firehawklt1
lol sorry im not that experienced with automatic transmissions.
1st of all never apologize for being not having knowledge or experience. We all had to start somewhere.

Second of all.... if you have not ever been into an automatic transmission do not do so on your own daily driver. You will be very dissapointed in your choice. There are several expensive special tools required to replace various seals, but 1st you have to figure out how to get the pump out, then where do all those little ***** go when the valve body comes apart? ATSG books help, I refer to them often, but they can be lacking sometimes. No techical manual can be a good substitute for experience.

What you might want to do is get a replacement unit or have yours repaired. Then go and get a good core, get a book, dissasemble it and learn from a unit that does not have to operate properly asap.

Just my .02.
g