Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 12:01 AM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning for a new TC

Hi
Re 98 A4
I have been reading up, but still a little confussed. I am planning a higher stall (approx 3000) and woundering what tuning is needed. It seems from the posts that some cars need tunes after and some don't.

Shift tune - is that WOT or partial throttle? Why
Increas rev limiter? Why
Lock up?
SES Codes? There seem to be a few different possibilities.
Shift firmness?
etc.

I need an idea of what needs to be done or potentialy needs to be done. There are not may experienced tuners in my area, and I will need some knowledge to find the right shop.

Actually someone should do a sticky on this topic.

Thanks JA
Old 12-18-2006, 02:08 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

1-Shift tune is at both throttle postions to compensate for the difference in the stock parameters of rpm verses throttle position and speed and the numbers produced by a high stall converter when not in lockup .
2-increasing the rev limiter lets you take advantage of the higher reving capabilities of these engines the stock limit was set as a safety net for GM not for best performance.
3-Lockup is a clutch actually contained inside the converter that in theory and when working correctly regardless of stall when you are at part throttle though some do set up for WOT the converter is effectively out of the loop no converter slip or stall just straight through which is why on the highway and cruising speeds a high stall converter and in particular the smaller converters can be as and in many cases more efficient than there low stall counter parts.
4-SES codes are codes set by the pcm when something is outside the OEM parameters this can be altered with tuning so hi performance parts converters etc do not set them .
5-Shift firmness is how quickly the transmission engages a gear, Higher stalls tend to make it seem there is more lag in the shifts(soft shift)though this is actually only and illusion, However it does feel much better when the shifts are considerably firmer than stock and a shift kit provides this along with other mods that will increase the life of the trans and converter

With a 3000 stall though tuning is always a good idea to take full advantage of it . if it will be required is a question it seems some cars can handle it with no issues others act crazy without it but in any case having the PCM tuned to any mod on the car is always a good idea

Call 888-744-6542

Old 12-18-2006, 05:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by performabuilt
1-Shift tune is at both throttle postions to compensate for the difference in the stock parameters of rpm verses throttle position and speed and the numbers produced by a high stall converter when not in lockup .
2-increasing the rev limiter lets you take advantage of the higher reving capabilities of these engines the stock limit was set as a safety net for GM not for best performance.
3-Lockup is a clutch actually contained inside the converter that in theory and when working correctly regardless of stall when you are at part throttle though some do set up for WOT the converter is effectively out of the loop no converter slip or stall just straight through which is why on the highway and cruising speeds a high stall converter and in particular the smaller converters can be as and in many cases more efficient than there low stall counter parts.
4-SES codes are codes set by the pcm when something is outside the OEM parameters this can be altered with tuning so hi performance parts converters etc do not set them .
5-Shift firmness is how quickly the transmission engages a gear, Higher stalls tend to make it seem there is more lag in the shifts(soft shift)though this is actually only and illusion, However it does feel much better when the shifts are considerably firmer than stock and a shift kit provides this along with other mods that will increase the life of the trans and converter

With a 3000 stall though tuning is always a good idea to take full advantage of it . if it will be required is a question it seems some cars can handle it with no issues others act crazy without it but in any case having the PCM tuned to any mod on the car is always a good idea
This is all great information. I completely agree!
I usually suggest getting the converter in and taking it from there. If it works great, great. If it has problems that need addressing with tuning, tune it.
This is with the exception of the 01 and 02 FBodies. Torque Management is so obtrusive that I always recommend at least reducing it.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:03 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Hi

Thanks for the information. Looks like I should buy HP Tuners along with my new TC. I have been holding off, but I realy should have it now.

Yes, TM has to go. It sucks. Also, I hate the lazzy partial throttle shifting. You can end up in thrird gear in a parking lot at low throttle.

When I buy I plan on getting it from a sponsor so I will check out both your web sites.

Thanks JA

Last edited by JGA; 12-18-2006 at 07:08 PM.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by performabuilt
if it will be required is a question it seems some cars can handle it with no issues others act crazy without it but in any case having the PCM tuned to any mod on the car is always a good idea
Mine is one of those exceptions, it drives fine with my Yank SS3600. It has never touched the rev limiter and its never been tuned. It has died on me 2 times in 6 months both at the same place, going up a steep driveway which is an extreme exception. Otherwise no tuning was necessary to drive it daily without problems, including lockup which works perfect just like stock. A new transmission went in at the same time though so that may have had a positive effect on the results, considering I have never really seen anyone with the same scenario as me. Almost everyone with a converter in this range needs a tune to prevent 2-3 shift problems, where mine actually shifts a bit early.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

what will you normally play around with for the tune?
Old 12-20-2006, 11:20 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MiaSSmaro98
what will you normally play around with for the tune?

Hi

Good question.

JA
Old 12-20-2006, 11:46 PM
12 Second Club

would it be worth it to buy an hptuner or just get it tuned by a shop?
Old 12-20-2006, 11:57 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
Mine is one of those exceptions, it drives fine with my Yank SS3600. It has never touched the rev limiter and its never been tuned. It has died on me 2 times in 6 months both at the same place, going up a steep driveway which is an extreme exception. Otherwise no tuning was necessary to drive it daily without problems, including lockup which works perfect just like stock. A new transmission went in at the same time though so that may have had a positive effect on the results, considering I have never really seen anyone with the same scenario as me. Almost everyone with a converter in this range needs a tune to prevent 2-3 shift problems, where mine actually shifts a bit early.
Well now that makes 2 of us...mine hasnt needed any tuning either and i also did a new tranny when installed it, it did however surge a lil bit when it first went in.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:27 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 00slowredz
would it be worth it to buy an hptuner or just get it tuned by a shop?
Hi

I live in the 3rd biggest city in Canada. Probably 3 or 4 dynos in the entire city at best. Not a single commercial user anywhere for HP Tuners, EFI Live, or anything else. The popularity apppears to be in mosly older cars, i.e. 1st and 3rd gens.

I found a new shop that is just getting started. They do not have any software or dyno, but they claim to be able to do a street tune. I though I could buy HP Tuners and then sell the other credits to get some money back.

JA
Old 12-21-2006, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Look in the Canadian forum and ask around on where to go, there are alot of Canadians here http://www.ls2.com/forums/forumdispl...?s=&forumid=70 that I know for a fact have some serious fast cars and should be able to point you in the right direction. I believe ROTAN just got a dyno up and running.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:42 PM
12 Second Club

i wish there was somewhere close to me that had a dyno and ppl who knew what they're doing. it seems like its one or the other around here. you either get a bunch of idiots with a dyno who say they're the best or a couple guys who ARE the best but dont have the resources for a dyno.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:32 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks

JA