Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I missing a piece in the 2nd accumulator?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 09:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Am I missing a piece in the 2nd accumulator?

Well I recently sheared all 3 of my converter "feet" off and decided to remove the transmission to install a vacuum modulator. As you probably know you have to remove the accumulator on the back driver's side of the transmission. I drove the car last night and it is acting a little weird. I am hitting the rev limiter on the 1-2 shift. It seems to drive fine at low speed and just cruising but when I give it over about 1/2 throttle it just hits the limiter and won't hardly shift. I remember when I disassembled the accumulator assembly the parts seemed to "shoot" out. Now I am wondering if I am missing a piece. I remember putting in two springs and they seemed fine. Is there a pin or something that I am missing that would be causing this? Does anyone have an exploded view of the accumulator assembly? I am going to try to take it back apart tonight but I have a funny feeling that I am missing a crucial piece in this accumulator assembly. Any ideas?
Old 12-18-2006, 11:10 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

There should be two springs that go in first , there should be a pin in the middle but its there other wise you would be starting in second then the piston goes in and that should be it
springs then piston if theres a shift kit there also could be some spacers

Call 888-744-6542

Old 12-18-2006, 11:32 AM
10 Second Club

Now that I think of it the car may be starting in second. The converter felt looser than normal when I drove it last night so it may be starting in second. I don't remember seeing a pin fall out of the accumulator. Is there anywhere I can buy a new pin or a whole new accumulator assembly with the aluminum pistons. Is there an easy way to check and see if the pin is missing like pulling the shifter into first gear and seeing if it works. What would be some other possible signs that I am missing a pin. I am almost positive that I installed everything else correctly including the vacuum modulator. How tight is the accumulator supposed to hold the vac mod in? Is it possible that I could have damaged something when the converter disengaged from the flywheel. The converter has since been rebuilt and re-installed. Thanks for your help.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:41 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Well on the pin if it was missing and you out the car in manual low it would feel a bit like the brake is applied normally though the pin is pressed into the accum and dosent come out unless worn out , On the modulator since we don't use them Im probably not the best person to advise you on that But and improper instalation could cause lower than normal line at wot and and actual slip while the lower rpms shift would still feel decent so that is a possibility to

Call 888-744-6542

Old 12-18-2006, 12:49 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks, anyone else have any ideas?
Old 12-19-2006, 09:45 AM
10 Second Club

Well I dug into this problem last night with some advice from Dana @ Pro Built Automatics. I capped off the vac mod line to see if that was the problem and it was. The car shifted normally with the vac mod hose capped at the brake booster, although it was at max line pressure. The hose that came with the transgo kit was burned through in several spots. I have replaced the hose and put a protective covering over it. I also rerouted the line to avoid any hot spots. I have not driven the car since I replaced the hose because I need to find a hose clamp to fit the new larger hose.