Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tranny cooler/radiator question

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 07:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny cooler/radiator question

I was reading posts on tranny coolers and I came across something that confused me. What fluids, besides coolant, run through the radiator. What fluid runs through the tranny cooler? Does the tranny get cooled by coolant at all, or by tranny fluid? I read that coolant and tranny fluid run through the radiator. How can this be???
Old 12-24-2006, 07:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a stock car, engine coolant runs through the radiator. The bottom section, which is separated from the engine coolant, holds the stock transmission cooler. If you look at the bottom of your radiator, you will see two smaller lines connected to the bottom of the radiator.
The transmission coolers (such as B&M, for example) are external coolers that are actually small radiators themselves. They are much more effective than the stock radiator-bottom cooler.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Word...now I understand. Thanks alot. Merry X-Mas!
Old 12-24-2006, 01:04 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Actually there is another way this is done through the stock radiator , rather than having a separate radiator in bottom for the trans some use a coiled tube actually running down the side inside the radiator in the coolant on some cars you can actually see the coiled tube when you remove the radiator cap, Its not a very efficient way of cooling though since it forces the trans to at least run at engine coolant temperature in all conditions and in the case of a high stall the trans set up like this will be much warmer that the engine and may even contribute to engine overheating itself

Call 888-744-6542