Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E transmission filter oring seal on my 98 TA

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 05:28 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unhappy 4L60E transmission filter oring seal on my 98 TA

I just finished changing my tansmission fluid and filter on my 4L60E. I bought a transmission gasket, filter, and oring seal kit along with the tranny fluid from Advance. I had no problems with anything except for the the filter seal . The new one that came with the kit is a metal ring with a rubber seal . It looks like there is nothing inside the tranny. The new filter seal will not fit in the hole. I then inserted the new filter which fit ok, but is loose & falls out.
Any ideas on what I should do? Thanks for any feedback.

attached pic of trans where the filter & seal go
also pic of filter & the only seal ( other than pan gasket )that came in the kit
Attached Thumbnails 4L60E transmission filter oring seal on my 98 TA-tran-filter-002.jpg   4L60E transmission filter oring seal on my 98 TA-tran-filter-003.jpg  

Last edited by Blksilvr; 12-30-2006 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

well first off are you sure you got the old filter seal out? They usually are a pia... If you did are you sure you have the right filter/filter seal (compare to the old ones) whenever i put a new filter in you have to give it a good push to pop it into the seal properly otherwise it will just pop out...
Old 12-30-2006, 07:24 PM
Launching!

I do beleive I got the old seal out . I can put the filter in , push it all the way up and when I let go ,the filter falls down . I tried to take a pic but the camara flash not working to well
Old 12-30-2006, 08:21 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well when the filter is out and you are looking into the mounting hole... where the seal is... are you looking at aluminum or black rubber molded to a steel insert.

As previously stated those inserts are not fun to remove... even with the right tools... I have never seen one fall out and you did not say it was a pita to get out so i doubt it has been removed.

The filter will lay flush against the valve body when inserted properly. It is an interference fit so you might have to wiggle it while pushing smartly to install it. It will not lay properly if 2 inserts are used... 1 in the case and 1 on the filter.

g
Old 12-30-2006, 09:43 PM
TECH Resident

i usually take a punch and hit it, it will spin and you can pry it out... its not hard
Old 12-30-2006, 10:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
Well when the filter is out and you are looking into the mounting hole... where the seal is... are you looking at aluminum or black rubber molded to a steel insert.

As previously stated those inserts are not fun to remove... even with the right tools... I have never seen one fall out and you did not say it was a pita to get out so i doubt it has been removed.

The filter will lay flush against the valve body when inserted properly. It is an interference fit so you might have to wiggle it while pushing smartly to install it. It will not lay properly if 2 inserts are used... 1 in the case and 1 on the filter.

g
i have attached pic
please look at them & give me your opinon

Thx
Old 12-30-2006, 10:09 PM
10 Second Club

well the pics are tough to tell, but the filter/seal look correct and it does look like you got the old seal out. When you put the new seal in everyone says you can push them in by hand, but i've always had to tap it in carefully (find a socket the diameter and line it up straight/tap with hammer)
Old 12-31-2006, 08:22 AM
Launching!

When I try to put the new seal in , I trird to it in by hand, no luck, I triedb to tap it in with a socket & hammer but I still would not go in
Old 12-31-2006, 08:34 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it was already said but make sure the steel part of the old seal came out and not just the rubber. The new seal needs to be tapped in and this can be difficult.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:56 AM
FormerVendor

The seal insert can be difficult to replace when laying on your back. It is an interference fit... some force is required.

The seal goes into the trans first.... then install the filter. They don't go up together.

g
Old 12-31-2006, 03:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

From your pic, it looks like the seal is still in the hole (see how the hole appears to have a "sleeve"), but the steel portion of it is missing the lip on it's bottom side (the lip prevents it from bottoming out in the hole).

You may need a small slide hammer with a hook tool to puill that out...
or you could try carefully tapping a pic in between the seal and the hole, and deform the seal enough to yank it out using needle node pliers... but be very careful to minimize damage to the hole.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:06 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

From your picture, the seal is removed. You have to install the new seal by putting a little oil on the outside of the seal to make installation a little smoother. Install by using a socket that is slightly bigger than the seal, and make sure the socket will clear the case where you put the seal in. Take a hammer & hit the socket square on the lip of the seal easily, until it is flush with the front pump. Put a few drops of oil on the filter tube and slowly work in the filter. That's it.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:13 AM
Launching!

Well guys I got it in . I took my magnet placed it at the hole ,it didn't stick so the metal seal was out .Took a rubber hammer & socket to get it in . Thx for everyone's feedback.

Thx's guy's
Old 01-01-2007, 09:09 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use a driver or socket with a dead blow/rubber mallet. Sorry I have been away and just read this but you did it exactly as I do every day. Nice job.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Filter change

I recently changed my fluid and filter and the car seemed to shift fine after, but on the first road trip I made, after about 45 miles the tranny made some slight noise so I stopped and checked the fluid. The level was fine, but I headed home. The noise and slight shudder had happened running about 80mph, but on the way home I stayed around 60 with no problems. Pulled the pan today and the filter seemed to be securely in place. Any ideas?
Old 01-02-2007, 05:55 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Blksilvr
Well guys I got it in . I took my magnet placed it at the hole ,it didn't stick so the metal seal was out .Took a rubber hammer & socket to get it in . Thx for everyone's feedback.

Thx's guy's

good deal! i was leary about how much force i could put on everything the first time i did it, it looks so delicate.. now your a pro
Old 01-03-2007, 01:45 PM
TECH Resident

I recently changed my fluid and filter. i used a tiny screw driver to bend the edge of the ring back then grabbed it with a pair of needle nose pliars and it came out in about 5 mins. no damage to the trans at all. but do be careful. but as 1hotls1 strated i too experienced a shudder at 80mph but found out it was strictly rpm related. 2000-2300rpms. not trying to hi-jack the thread or anything but this issue is why i am currently on the computer. I believe the issue is my torque convertor. problem occures in nuetral as well. Shudder did occur before the fluid change. Any ideas. But back to the issue at hand. It appears that the seal is no longer in the trans and i have this thought because A: thats the way it looks, but also B: I do not believe the new filter would fall out if the seal was still in the trans and has not been tampered with or distorted. How many miles? The car calls for fluid change every 30000 miles so to me it looks like it was left out from the last time. I have always had to tap in the seal with a socket as stated for a brass punch. Just a few minutes of very light taps. Pushing it in by hand sounds like a bunch of BS to me.

Quick Reply: 4L60E transmission filter oring seal on my 98 TA