Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 10:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help

i have a 94 chev 1500 4-4 4l60e it started to make a humming looks like it had water in it and froze and overheated so i tryed a flush and filter kit it was good for about 3 hours and samething oil looks dirty pulled the pan no metal in pan but filled it up and still hums and not much flow in lines it was a used trans i put in any one have an idea thanks curtis
Old 01-02-2007, 10:21 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I would imediatly replace the radiator or install a cooler bypassing the radiator
the hum may be from a stopped up cooler

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-02-2007, 10:24 PM
Teching In

i tryed bypassing the rad samething if you leave it in drive for 5 sec it will go in but no revers think it might be converter or pump? oil is dirty again but nothing in bottom of pan?
Old 01-02-2007, 10:46 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Well As much as I hate to say it , i think you got a dud from the salvage yard no movement low flow , does not sound good , Why did you not just get a rebuilt unit?

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-03-2007, 12:27 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Apparently your transmission has suffered blows from 2 of its worst enemies.

1. Water... Water will cause several problems, lack of proper bearing / bushing lubrication, pump damage and can cause numerous problems in the valve body... these are but a few.

2. Heat... Heat can and will cause bearings / bushings to wear prematurely. It will cause any and all of the rubber seals to fail prematurely which will lead to slippage which generates friction / heat and the cycle continues until the unit dies a premature death if driven in this condition for any length of time.

Was the fluid "milky" looking or are we talking about a small amount of water that could be condensation caused by a blocked vent? Either way if there was sufficient water to cause the valves to freeze in place and it was driven in this condition, there most likely will have been clutch / band damage. Sorry for the bad news but that's my opinion based on the info. given.

Did you just install this transmission or have it been installed for a while and been driving ok?

g
Old 01-03-2007, 07:47 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could not agree more with gilberts statement. If there is water that has gone through the valve body those gaskets are shot There is more than a good chance that unit is in need of a rebuilt. Please click the link in my sig and see what we have to offer.Vince
Old 01-03-2007, 09:00 PM
Teching In

it was instal for about 3 weeks the filter looked pluged with old gasket material so i canged it and it was good for about 3 hours and the wining is back it dont seem like much flow in line tryed to blow in the return line is seems resticted to me think i just better rebuild it
Old 01-03-2007, 10:00 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yessir, I think so too. Be sure to flush that cooler as well. Good luck.

Nice try though on the bone yard unit. I've seen more than a few make it a long ways before sacrificing themselves at the alter of the car gods!

g