Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no hypertech with shift kit??????

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 11:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default no hypertech with shift kit??????

my buddy has a 97 ram air t/a. its all stock except for a hypertech. he bought a b&m transpack and i put it in for him last night. now the directions say not to use the hypertech for tranny functions with a shift kit. so i put in the shift kit and we hooked up the hypertech and put the tranny back to stock.
it shifts the same as the hypertech turned all the way up.(i put the hardest shifting stage in).
so i was wondering if anybody has ever ignored the directions and used both of them? i really don't see a problem, and my buddy wants his car to pretty much chirp at idle.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well my car was programmed with Hypertech when i bought and it has the perform option and i had a trans-go stage 2 put in I cant say it really hurt anything but I do not abuse it all the time.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:36 AM
Staging Lane

yeah i figure the hypertech would only allow the shift kit to work better. its not adjusting the torque managment or anything.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hypertech explicitly says NOT to program shift firmness if you have a shift kit, saying that the shift kit already firms up the shifts and tranny damage is likely if you make the shifts even firmer with their program.

I've been using HPP+ for many years with the increased shift firmness and I see no reason to go through the hassle of installing a shift kit.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeff 97 Formula
I've been using HPP+ for many years with the increased shift firmness and I see no reason to go through the hassle of installing a shift kit.
read up on what shift kits do...they do more than "firm" the shifts. better fluid circulation and quicker shifts are only the tip of the iceberg.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:53 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

a shift kit is definatly the way to go

Call 888-744-6542