Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

converting from A4 to M6

Old 01-10-2007, 08:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default converting from A4 to M6

I really want to convert my 98 T/A A4 over to an M6. But here is my question. Where could I get that done at? Just a local auto shop? And how much would this cost me you think? (estimate)
Old 01-10-2007, 09:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most "local" auto shops won't know how to do it. There are some very good stickies you can read at the top of this section and the manual trans section that explain everything in detail. You're best bet is to find a reputable shop that knows LS1's pretty well that is somewhat close to you and see if they can do it. But I probably wouldn't trust just any auto shop.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:41 AM
11 Second Club

You're probably looking at about $3,000 to get this done. Maybe a little more and maybe a little less.

DO NOT take this to a transmission or local mechanic. You need to find a performance shop (IE check out our sponsor list ----->).

The other alternative is too post in the regional section and see if any members local to you have experience with this swap. Then a few hundred bucks, a few pizzas and a few cases of beer might get the job done.

Finally the easiest and least expensive way to go about this is to find a donar car. If there was a M6 guy wanting an A4 then you both swap parts, reflash PCM's and end up only paying for labor. But the problem there is supply and demand. A4 guys wanting to go M6 are a dime a dozen. There are fewer M6 guys wanting an auto and most are looking for a TH400/TH350 A3 for drag racing purposes. But if you do find a M6 guy who wants a 4L60E (I think he needs to be the same year but I'm not 100% ) then you're golden.

Good luck.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:48 AM
11 Second Club

Or here is another idea. You could trade in your current F-body on a M6 LS1 at a local dealership. If you use the 3K cash it would have cost to do the swap then that should cover any gap between what you owe on your LS1 vs what they offer as a trade-in (if that's even applicable).

Again, good luck.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few friends had the a4 to M6 swap done at a local shop. They will charge around $700 to do the swap, when you bring all the parts needed.

Search this Thread