Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

th400 questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 08:53 PM
STF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default th400 questions

how hard is it exactly to build one, I have no problem building it..just this is my 1st one

also what clutches..ect... do you th400 guys recommend to make it strong so it DOSNT break like my 4l60

i also will be running a full manuel reverse valve body

any help will be great

thanks!!
Old 01-15-2007, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alto red eagle clutches, kolene steels. If it's a fully manual valvebody you can eliminate the governer and the 1-2 accumulator and a few other things.

They're easy to build. I did the th350 that's in my cousins car now. Comes apart in like 4 major chunks. The whole pump, then you pull the input shaft and that comes out with the first clutch pack. Then you pull the drum, and then you hold the trans and lightly tap the input shaft with a rubber mallet and that will break the other clutch pack loose. Buy the book for sure...It goes through it step by step. I bought the race rebuild kit from summit for a little under 300, the th400 kit is slightly cheaper. Came with clutches, steels, band, all the seals and bushings. It's easy. Just keep the work enviroment clean, and clean every part thoroughly before you put it back together. and when you assemble the cletch packs lay the clutches in a paper plate with trans fluid so they're completely covered.