Sponsored by:

Question for a Stall Guru - Yank SS3600

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 07:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for a Stall Guru - Yank SS3600

I've got a 2005 GTO

SW Long Tubes, no cats, Magnaflow Catback, Volant CAI, 228/232 .588 .595 112+4 XE-R cam, Yank 3600

I just recently got the cam in and tuned.

Problem I'm having is that on the highway once the converter is locked I can give the car just about any amount of gas, like a quick blip and the revs will jump up and the car will barely accelerate, like it is unlocking and starting to flash but we scanned the car with a Tech 2 and drove it and it is not unlocking. If I really get into the throttle the converter will unlock and flash to 3600.

So the question is since the Tech 2 says the converter is not unlocking and the revs are still jumping so quick the TCC is obviously slipping right? What other things could be happening? Not enough pressure on the TCC selonoid? Could any of this possibly be a tuning issue or does it sound like a straight converter issue? The converter problably only has 2K on it.

Any help would be much appreciated. I'd rather this be a tuning issue than have the car down for two weeks pulling the converter to Yank and having them check it/fix it and send it back, don't have that time since this is my DD.

TIA
Old 01-20-2007, 09:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the lock-up clutch is starting to slip, you frequently can hear or feel it. How much of an rpm jump are you seeing? do you hear or feel anything?
Old 01-20-2007, 11:55 AM
FormerVendor

At cruise the line pressure is at a low point, just enough to hold the clutches and converter in the locked mode this is to save on the extra HP it would take at a higher line pressure to allow for extra fuel milage.
What is happing it the delay from when the pedal is pushed down the TPS response time and the time to respond at the pressure solinoid with the time it takes to fluid charge the system you will have a low clamping pressure on the trans parts.

At the instant the pedal is moved with the light weight of the converter engine response is so fast the trans can not keep up the clutch packs or converter or both and a slipping can/will occur, and might be corrected by raising the low end of the pressure tables higher and reworking the flow path in the transmission the shorten the time factor
Old 01-20-2007, 01:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
If the lock-up clutch is starting to slip, you frequently can hear or feel it. How much of an rpm jump are you seeing? do you hear or feel anything?
I can throttle the RPM's from 2K to 3K without it unlocking with just a quick blip of the throttle.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Yank
At cruise the line pressure is at a low point, just enough to hold the clutches and converter in the locked mode this is to save on the extra HP it would take at a higher line pressure to allow for extra fuel milage.
What is happing it the delay from when the pedal is pushed down the TPS response time and the time to respond at the pressure solinoid with the time it takes to fluid charge the system you will have a low clamping pressure on the trans parts.

At the instant the pedal is moved with the light weight of the converter engine response is so fast the trans can not keep up the clutch packs or converter or both and a slipping can/will occur, and might be corrected by raising the low end of the pressure tables higher and reworking the flow path in the transmission the shorten the time factor
So you're saying either some tuning issues could help solve the low TCC pressure issues and/or a Shift Kit to help with the pressure issues?
Old 01-20-2007, 03:36 PM
FormerVendor

Yes that will help
Old 01-20-2007, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Yank
Yes that will help
But not totally fix the problem?
Old 01-22-2007, 09:38 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Judge Smales
But not totally fix the problem?
+1 Will this not totally eliminate the problem? If not, what will?
Old 01-23-2007, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

raise the line pressure a bit it won't take much, and have you messed with your shift points any?