Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuild = Crap. Help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 07:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuild = Crap. Help?

Hello all! Just wanted to shar my experience with having my 2000 4L6o rebuilt. The original A4 had over 112K miles on it beofre it finally took a dump on me. I decided to take the cheap(er) route and have it rebuilt by a respectible builder in town. I was told it would handle 450rwhp and I had a 3200 stall installed at the same time. All I could say was "WOW! This car moves now!" I loved it... for 6wks. I soon realized the the seal around the tranny pump had cracked and it was leaking fluid like crazy. Ok, easy fix. Now, 6wks after that.... the tranny has blown itself apart. I fried everything in the tranny and I wasn't even driving it hard. The shop is tired of seeing their failures and I'm tired of trailoring it back every 6wks. I shoulda paid the extra money and just got a NEW tranny. Anybody have any input/info/recommendations on a good tranny without astronomical prices? Preferably one from a shop that isn't going to go out of business in the next 10yrs?
Old 01-26-2007, 07:49 PM
10 Second Club

Nowhere is the saying "You get what you pay for" more evident than dealing with high-performance, built, overdrive transmissions. Look to the sponsor section on the right and call FLT. They have extensive experience building 4L60E's (for a long time) to handle big power and more importantly that can handle big power reliably. Certainly not cheap, but well worth the piece of mind knowing your trans was built correctly the first time. I have a FLT Stage IV and it's been great with zero problems. I'm sure others will chime in as well.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:59 PM
Launching!

I'm such a dipdhit... I just lloked at FLT's prices and I spent close to $1000 more for the rebuild than I did for a new tranny. Money well spent.....
Old 01-27-2007, 09:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hey man, I feel your pain, I have had my AAMCO tranny rebuilt 3 times since it first went out, and the second rebuild was DAYS after the first. Not only that, but I could have gotten a stage 5 tranny from FLT for what I paid to have AAMCO do it. Im just lucky I had a warranty.

It pays to know your **** before you get into it, I wish I would have went with FLT, and been done with it, I heard nothing but good stuff about them....
Old 01-27-2007, 09:33 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Local shops generally are not geared to High Performance build ups and do not know any of the tricks or weak points in the Trans you in most cases better off getting a built trans from a company that does just that, And in the long run its generally much cheaper too.
Please look at what we have to offer and Im sorry for your misfortune.

Call 888-744-6542