Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody have this problem with a 4L60E/ converter

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 04:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anybody have this problem with a 4L60E/ converter

Last week I posted that I installed the trans and on start up eventually led to fluid leaking from inside the bell once I put the car in drive. Since then I changed the input shaft seal and reinstalled the tranny. I made sure the converter was in right. My problem now is that as soon as I begin to tighten the bolts (tranny to the block) the converter pushes on the flex plate to the point that it won't spin. It even make spinning the flexplate nearly impossible. I've dropped it 3 times already to see if somehow the converter is moving forward but its not. I've even cleaned the crank spacer and the back of the converter (vig) with fine sand paper and wd40 to see if maybe light rust had formed and was not allowing the converter to go in. The converter seems to be too close to plate. The other times when I've installed the converter in the past it always had some space between the flex plate and verter. It would move to line up to be bolted in. I'm wondering if when I had the problem with fluid dumping out that the input shaft has moved forward. Any Ideas?
Old 02-03-2007, 04:11 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do not believe that you have the converter in all the way. You are using the same converter?
Old 02-03-2007, 05:47 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check that you have the correct o-ring seal as they have diff. thickness
Old 02-03-2007, 05:48 PM
On The Tree

yes, same vig converter. I just had it in last week and ran into the leak problem. Thats why i pulled the tranny. The last thing I just did was get under there with a mini mag lite and I can see the back of the converter in the crank spacer. I've spun the converter with my hand until it slid in 3 times. As I lifted the tranny in place I held the converter so it wouldn't move forward. How much of the converter shaft should you see through the small hole at the trans input shaft?
Old 02-03-2007, 05:50 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the converter is in completly it will be back from the matting surface of the trans to the converter lugs around 1.062 inset
Old 02-05-2007, 02:18 AM
12 Second Club

Yep, its not in all the way. Ran into that with my Yank install. Went up and the converter was binding on the fly wheel. Dropped it, pulled it out, reinstalled spinning felt it slid in a bit, but not enough like previously. I used a rubber mallet and LIGHTLY tapped it in fully. Reinstalled tranny and all was good.

Ski
Old 02-05-2007, 03:39 PM
On The Tree

I'm gonna give it a try. It just doesn't make sense the last 2 times I had to install the same converter after tranny failure it went on easy. I've found that for some reason the converter will not go onto the pump. It acts like its in but its not. I even pulled out the stock converter to see if it would go in. It won't. I can't understand why it went in fine the first time. Then it leaked now the thing won't go back on. If this don't work I'm gonna have to get with one of 2 friends that work on trannys to see what they think.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:42 PM
12 Second Club

is there a seal or something thats caught? I really dont know much about autos other than to remove and reinstall. I get kinda woozy when I drop the pan. To much going on there.

Ski
Old 02-05-2007, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

Dude i just tried tapping it in with a rubber mall and it won't go. I can't see anything that is keeping it from going in. I am going to see the guy who built my turbo 350 in a few minutes.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:29 PM
11 Second Club

You have to spin the converter as you are trying to push it in. Helps if you take a little weight off the converter as well by lifting it a little while spinning and pushing.

DJ
Old 02-05-2007, 06:48 PM
Banned

I'm wondering why you'd replace the input shaft seal (o-ring) if it was leaking out of the bellhousing area.
I could see replacing the pump seal. Which was it?

What about the pump bushing? If it's not in right the converter won't go in.

I'd take the input o-ring off and retry the converter installation. If no different take the pump seal out and retry.

This is assuming the pump bushing didn't spin or wasn't installed crooked, never said why the trans was out, but sometimes the pump bushing can walk out and hit the seal causing a leak.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:52 PM
On The Tree

Well its not me. I just got back. It seems something is wrong with the pump. He confirmed that the pump won't spin and the converter is not clicking onto the pump like it should. He's going to pull it apart.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

Maybe you messed up the pump when you put it back in and thats why the converter wont go back in. Im sure there is something in there that gets smashed if you dont have it in right and connect it to the motor
Old 02-05-2007, 10:00 PM
12 Second Club

At least you know you werent going crazy. Best of luck with the tranny.

Ski

Quick Reply: Anybody have this problem with a 4L60E/ converter