Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switchen sides...T-56 to auto...lots of Q's.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 04:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Switchen sides...T-56 to auto...lots of Q's.

I'm going to put an automatic in the SS. The only thing is, I'm clueless on auto's. The car is getting set up for the 1/4 mile. Right now it only comes out of the garage maybe twice a week, and for the track. What tranny do you guys reccomend? Converter? Shift kit? Should I get a trans brake? It's also getting nitrous put in in the spring. It will be taken off the road in a year or two, and set up for race use only. Like I said, I'm pretty clueless on autos, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ken
Old 02-03-2007, 05:57 PM
10 Second Club

MVB T brake'd TH400 FTW!
I was an M6 > A3 and haven't looked back once.
You'll like it
Old 02-03-2007, 09:35 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SLowETz
MVB T brake'd TH400 FTW!
I was an M6 > A3 and haven't looked back once.
You'll like it
Care to elaborate? Like I said, I don't know too much about auto's. MVB? Does that stand for manual valve body? Where do I start to look, if I decide I want to buy one of these, or have one built?
Old 02-03-2007, 10:10 PM
10 Second Club

Ok. Yes, manual valve body. You shift the transmission. Can be a forward manual(P,R,N,3,2,1), or reverse manual(P,R,N,1,2,3).
Trans can be built with or without compression braking(engine braking), and can be built with or without a lock up converter(electronically/manually activated lock up solonoid locks the converter for no slip/ 1:1 ratio).

TH350-400's are 3 speeds. No overdrive. Will handle 900-1200 hp with a good build. Can be swapped in easily, can retain your M6 harness and won't require much pcm editing/tuning to work in an M6 car(speedo, and turning off variuos M6 parameters (IE: clutch inhibit solonoid, skip shift, etc.)

4L80E is basically a TH400 with overdrive, but is electronically controlled. You'll need an A4 harness and tune for it to work in your M6 car.

Depends on what your needs are and what you want the car to do. Based on what you've said, I'd think a built 400 would take care of business.

Lot's of competent builders out there to talk to.

Carl Rossler @ http://www.rosslertrans.com is prolly one of the most well known for his transmissions, but he's also pretty proud of them($$$).

YANK/Gearstar (forum sponsor) http://www.converter.cc/
I've got a built Gearstar RMVB, lock up, trans brake'd TH400 with a YANK converter and couldn't be happier with it. Talk to Mike Senia-

Finish Line Transmissions(site sponsor)

TCI(site sponsor)

Take a look at their sites to get an idea of what is offered, and talk to as many builders as you can to get their feedback on what will best fit your needs.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:58 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SLowETz
Ok. Yes, manual valve body. You shift the transmission. Can be a forward manual(P,R,N,3,2,1), or reverse manual(P,R,N,1,2,3).
Trans can be built with or without compression braking(engine braking), and can be built with or without a lock up converter(electronically/manually activated lock up solonoid locks the converter for no slip/ 1:1 ratio).

TH350-400's are 3 speeds. No overdrive. Will handle 900-1200 hp with a good build. Can be swapped in easily, can retain your M6 harness and won't require much pcm editing/tuning to work in an M6 car(speedo, and turning off variuos M6 parameters (IE: clutch inhibit solonoid, skip shift, etc.)

4L80E is basically a TH400 with overdrive, but is electronically controlled. You'll need an A4 harness and tune for it to work in your M6 car.

Depends on what your needs are and what you want the car to do. Based on what you've said, I'd think a built 400 would take care of business.

Lot's of competent builders out there to talk to.

Carl Rossler @ http://www.rosslertrans.com is prolly one of the most well known for his transmissions, but he's also pretty proud of them($$$).

YANK/Gearstar (forum sponsor) http://www.converter.cc/
I've got a built Gearstar RMVB, lock up, trans brake'd TH400 with a YANK converter and couldn't be happier with it. Talk to Mike Senia-

Finish Line Transmissions(site sponsor)

TCI(site sponsor)

Take a look at their sites to get an idea of what is offered, and talk to as many builders as you can to get their feedback on what will best fit your needs.
Thanks for the help man. I appreciate it. I've got a couple more questions for ya. Is there any big difference between the TH350 and TH400 other than the 400 will eat a little more hp, but take a little more abuse? Is the forward manual and reverse manual just a driver preference thing? What size converter would you reccommend for mainly a track car?...but I do take it to work maybe twice a week. Do you need an MVB tranny to use a trans-lock? Thanks again man.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02SS:ZEUS
Thanks for the help man. I appreciate it. I've got a couple more questions for ya. Is there any big difference between the TH350 and TH400 other than the 400 will eat a little more hp, but take a little more abuse? Is the forward manual and reverse manual just a driver preference thing? What size converter would you reccommend for mainly a track car?...but I do take it to work maybe twice a week. Do you need an MVB tranny to use a trans-lock? Thanks again man.
physically the 350 and 400 is also different, the crossmember location and the output shaft is a 27 spline just like the 4l60e while the 400 is a 32. the difference in hp i heard is between 7-10, plus it has a much larger moment of inertia to it. The fwd/rev pattern is mostly a preference the only thing is for a drag car we recomend at work a rev pattern so incase you overshift you dont go into neutral and over rev. the off roaders/ super stock racers use the fwd pattern because off roaders like to throw it in neutral in case they have a problem. Converter depends on your motor and combination, a crazy cam and a light car you can go all the way down to an, as a rule of thumb i was always told you typically want the stall near the lower rpm of where the cam makes power. you do need a mvb if you use a transbrake. there is only one company that makes a valve body that shifts automatically and uses a t-brake.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:41 AM
10 Second Club

I could buy a used TH350 right now for $150. Would it be better to go with buying one used and building it, or having a brand new one built? How much does it cost to build a strong TH350 or TH400? About how much can I expect to spend on this swap total??

By the way...when I put a built TH400 with a 4000 stall converter in the car, will I still be able to cruise with it every now and then? Or would it be too hard to drive on the street?

Last edited by 02SS:ZEUS; 02-04-2007 at 12:51 AM.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would get the Th400 if I were you...You can use your stock manual crossmember with it... It's also pretty much indestructable when you get all of the trimmings for it... I'm doing a RMVB with a TB and can't wait to get it in... The ones that I've been looking at fully built are like $1000-$1400 for the trans and then you have to get a shifter, converter, Torque Arm Relocation bracket of some sort, temp gauge, cooler, and other misc items...It should somewhere around $2500 (the cost of a built T56 alone) and you won't have to worry about them damn $1000 clutches constantly going out on you... How much are you going to go to the track?? You honestly might look at a PowerGlide... If it's going to be geared more toward the track it would be nice... You only have to shift once and the high gear on the TH400 and PG are both 1:1 ratio... Just do some shopping and ask a lot of questions... Good luck bro... Chris
Old 02-04-2007, 12:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

By the way...when I put a built TH400 with a 4000 stall converter in the car, will I still be able to cruise with it every now and then? Or would it be too hard to drive on the street?
yeah you should be able to definitely cruise every now and again...What rearend gears do you have in it??
Old 02-04-2007, 01:41 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98turbls1
yeah you should be able to definitely cruise every now and again...What rearend gears do you have in it??
I've got 3.90's for gears. Its going to see a lot of track time. Within the next 2-3 years I'm probably going to take it off the road and just use it for the track. Right now I have got the UMI trans crossmember with the torque arm relocation. I think I have to get a different one to fit an auto trans...but I could be mistaken. Will I need a new drive shaft? Or can I keep my PST 3.5" aluminum one?
Old 02-04-2007, 02:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

So the trans and crossmember relocation are one piece?? You should be able to use that one...At least try it before you commit to another one... As for the driveshaft you're going to have it modified when you get everything set in...
Old 02-04-2007, 07:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

th400 Ftw!
btlfedss
Old 02-04-2007, 07:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

TH400 RMVB F.T.W!

BTLFEDSS
Old 02-04-2007, 05:01 PM
10 Second Club

What shift kit are you guys using? I'm kind of leaning towards the B&M Pro Ratchet shifter. But I'm not sure where to put the trans brake switch. Ideas?
Old 02-04-2007, 05:10 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98turbls1
So the trans and crossmember relocation are one piece?? You should be able to use that one...At least try it before you commit to another one... As for the driveshaft you're going to have it modified when you get everything set in...
Here is the piece that I have in the car now. They have another one that they say is for auto's, so I'm not sure if the one I have will work.
http://www.byunspeed.com/product_inf...04368b8617b712
Old 02-04-2007, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

It should be fine... You may have to shim it but I think that's pretty much it... If you were going to use a TH350 or a 4l60e then you will have to get another one...
Old 02-05-2007, 01:01 AM
10 Second Club

Why does everyone seem to like the RMVB so much? From my understanding, it was developed to keep you from going to far and putting the car into neutral on your way down the track. But with the new shift kits, and their reverse and neutral lock-outs, wouldn't a forward MVB be more comfortable?? A RMVB is P R N 1 2 3 and a forward MVB is P R N 3 2 1...right?
Old 02-05-2007, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Why does everyone seem to like the RMVB so much? From my understanding, it was developed to keep you from going to far and putting the car into neutral on your way down the track. But with the new shift kits, and their reverse and neutral lock-outs, wouldn't a forward MVB be more comfortable?? A RMVB is P R N 1 2 3 and a forward MVB is P R N 3 2 1...right?
You're right in the statement but for me I just want to take one more possible variable out of the equation... I've hit neutral before and it's sucked... There's just that possibility of getting overzealous and accidentally squeezing the handle and pushing it into neutral... Well you know how that could happen with me with the shifter that I'm using... =)
Old 02-05-2007, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Can only run a trans brake with a RMVB
BTLFEDSS
Old 02-05-2007, 03:20 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BTLFEDSS
Can only run a trans brake with a RMVB
BTLFEDSS
You can't run a trans brake on a forward MVB????? That doesn't make sense.