Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lock up on hwy but not dyno?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 05:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lock up on hwy but not dyno?

Why would it do this and will it hurt anything? Car has ms3, lt's, duals, 3.42's pt4000.

The trans I have is from a buddy that had it rebuilt
The rebuild sheet shows

transgo shift kit hd-2
wide band hd kevlar
banner kit master/with koleen steels/ hd red clutches
bushing kit
bearing kit
capsul for relase on servo
super servo 1-2 beast sun shell with reaction shaft 4l60e bearing input sprag 4l60e
pinless accumulator piston
z-pack 3-4
pwm solenoid
1-2 shift solenoids
2-3 shift solenoids
3-2 shift solenoid wiring harness/ l/u solenoid
5 pinion planetary set (cryo'd)
cryo'd input and output shaft
Old 02-15-2007, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't you go WOT on the dyno? Mine only locks up if I'm light on the gas above the lockup speed (50mph). If I am a little heavy footed, not even WOT, it will not lock up.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:41 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes while there are several way to tric it into WOT lockup and I understand you can alter programming to do it also , With the factoy tune it will not lock up at WOT which is generally all you do on a dyno , The converter program is set up only to allow lockup at cruising speeds at medium to part throttle positions

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-15-2007, 06:52 PM
Staging Lane

Well I know some places will have it locked up on dyno runs to pull the higher #'s so that's why I was asking. I don't care about the numbers just wasn't sure if it mattered that it didn't lock up.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:38 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

No it wont hurt anything as long as its locking at cruising speeds driving aound , And yes some do have it locked to get higher numbers but they have to make it lock it wont do it on its own

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-15-2007, 10:13 PM
12 Second Club

is there any danger to locking a converter on a dyno? when i got my car dynoed the shop was a little weary of locking the converter for a pull...
Old 02-15-2007, 10:20 PM
10 Second Club

u can lock it using a tech ll or hptuners and possibly other tuning software.
some shops wont do it with a stock verter in there..
Old 02-15-2007, 11:04 PM
Staging Lane

Ok, picked the car up and it's fine on the hwy. The shop suspects there's something wrong with the tranny possibly. The have only had one other car that did what mine's doing. I'm going to talk to them some more tomorrow but they suggest rebuilding my other one. Which I trust their word b/c they have nothing to gain with me getting it rebuilt since they don't do it. I'm just not really sure what to do here.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:24 PM
TECH Addict

Why would you want to lock the converter on a dyno for higher numbers? Might as well change the temperature settings, altitude, ice the intake down, etc. Do you drag race with the stall locked up? If not, wouldn't you want to know the power you have at WOT? Personally, I like real dyno numbers so I know what I'm racing with. That's just me though =)

Primered, what mods do you have done to the car? If you plan on trying to get some serious numbers I would go with a TH400 auto or a an HD tranny instead of an old joe-schmo shop rebuilt 4L60e.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:18 PM
Staging Lane

It's a cam only car for now, I will probably eventually do a t350/400. They said they have only had one other car do this so it kind of worries me that there might be something wrong.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:23 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SVT THIS
Why would you want to lock the converter on a dyno for higher numbers? Might as well change the temperature settings, altitude, ice the intake down, etc. Do you drag race with the stall locked up? If not, wouldn't you want to know the power you have at WOT? Personally, I like real dyno numbers so I know what I'm racing with. That's just me though =)
doesnt make much difference to me, some people just wonder how my car is faster than theirs with only 270rwhp and almost 3700lbs. kinda hard to explain that one...especially if theirs dynoed 300+ stock...
Old 02-16-2007, 04:14 PM
TECH Addict

you lock a Converter @ WOT on dyno runs if you suspect you have an inefficient converter causing uneeded slip @ WOT. It can be accomplished in tuning. I think at the track you usually don't lock it until near the end. It can be bad if the converter you have is (specifically the Lockup clutch) not made to be locked up @ WOT.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:25 PM
TECH Junkie

As some have said ...

If you have not had the car tuned, it is going off of the factory settings. The Stock TCC is 12" in diameter and about 1" wide and less then an 1/8" thick. As you can imagine the stock TCC will disinegrate during WOT operation. That is why the factory programmed the converter to unlock during WOT. Since you have a PT4000, it is a multi-disc TCC, what this means is that it is setup to take the abuse of being locked under WOT conditions. Yank uses a huge clutch, It is 9.5" in diameter, about 2" wide and around an 1/8" thick, but is better material then the stock woven composite (which was designed for smooth engagement, not shear holding power). If you have your car tuned, your tuner will be able to set it up so that it locks up at an optimum speed. I would not trust those guys saying that it is not normal, especially since they do not work on transmission ... I doubt they tune, let alone the transmission settings. Good luck!
Old 02-18-2007, 12:24 AM
10 Second Club

There is a feature with HPTuners to command lock-up while scanning. I'm sure the other software have the same features, but I'm not familiar with other software. I will dyno my car in a couple of weeks and since you mentioned this, I will make a couple of pulls unlocked and a couple of pulls locked to see what the difference is. There shouldn't be a marginal difference, if there is then the converter isn't efficient. I'm gonna spray a couple of pulls to see what kind of #'s I'm making. Non of this matters much, it's all how it performs on the track to me.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:32 AM
On The Tree

Can you please explain how you can lock the converter up for the dyno using Hptuners? I went to ''VCM Controls'' and then ''Trans'' but don't know which solenoids should be turned on/off to get my vig. multidisc converter locked up?
Old 02-19-2007, 08:31 AM
9 Second Club

TCC PWM i think thats the only one i ever select to l/u cars on the dyno. I lock mine on the dyno to test converter efficiency...also, my converter locks at the 1/8 so i like to know what its putting down l/u
Old 02-19-2007, 12:21 PM
TECH Junkie

With aftermarket converters, especially large stalls and high STRs, don't be surprised if they are off by as much as 10% (Engine RPM vs Trans Input RPM). That is typical and is actually efficient. Beyond that (89% and lower) is considered inefficient. Only the stock converter will be very efficient, like 99% or so. Typically aftermarket converters for LS1 vehicles (stall range from 3000-4000, and STR range about 2.0-2.4) will be in the 95% efficiency range. This may vary (for example) if you have a 3000 stall with a 2.0 STR (higher efficiency) vs a 4000 stall with a 2.5 STR (lower efficiency). All of this is inregard to top end efficiency for dyno/track purposes.

Quick Reply: Lock up on hwy but not dyno?