Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much would a 3500 stall effect my car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How much would a 3500 stall effect my car?

I have a 94 Z with a stock 10-bolt with a 3.23 gear from the factory that has 150k miles on it. I have had the bearings and seals replaced about 20k miles ago, but other than that it is untouched. I am wanting to get a new tranny from performabuilt soon (stage 1) and get the 9.5" 3500 stall TC. The car will be a cam-only LT1. Also, it will still be my DD for a while.

My concern is how bad will a launch with a 3500 stall on a set of DR's hurt my 10-bolt? I probably won't race but 2-3 times a year...
Also, how bad will it effect my gas mileage?
And how good of an increase in 60' and ET will I see?

Thanks.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well I can tell you that I went from stock stall, to a 3800 stall and I lost about 2-3 mpg's.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went from a stock everything to full bolt ons and a 4400 stall and lost 10mpg.
But I also went from mid 13s to low 12s =)

Outlaw, my best explanation for what it is like switching to a stall is this...
Get in a 6-speed car and launch it without dumping the clutch.
Get in a 6-speed car and dump the clutch at 3500-3800rpms.

Get some sticky tires and you'll feel like a sling shot compared to the old ride. The 10bolt is hit and miss with a stall. Some people can run into the 10s with the stock 10bolts. I broke mine when everything was stock with 80k miles =(
Old 02-15-2007, 11:57 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

it really depends on your driving habits unlike the stock stall ,taking off a little quicker then letting off and letting it lock up will save gas , Your launch will improve considerably in that area you will be more than impressed , Now if you get the stall from us again you are going to be impressed it will not feel as loose or be as inefficent at low speeds as many others I have seen and heard about , We have had several customers replace other brands with ours and were impressed that they could have such good low speed feel and drivability while still kicking right up to the rated stall speed when you get on them,
Our converters are alot better than price would seem to make them look , But then again though we do sell them separate, we actually sell them because we wanted our trans customers to have a good option to go with our transmissions in the hope they would use them because it does make figuring out some warranty issues alot easier.
Though we have on seveal occasions worked to help our customers with converter issues take care of any damage caused by another brand to the trans when that happened we have not found other suppliers of converters nearly so helpfull basically in many but not all its never there fault , I will not mention names but one converter supplier after the converter came apart dumping tons of metal into trans actually told the customer to have the trans flushed and it would be fine? They are not a sponsor here as far as I know And at that time we decided to start offering our converter with our trans and honestly our cost for these is very close to the price we sell them at in fact in the tranny/converter combos its equal to the price we end up with in them after shipping ect, But we wanted our customers to have a good option to go with our trans. And when we sell one of our converters with our transmissions we are confident in the outcome and we know that if anything goes wrong with either there wont be any complications for either us or the customer.

Call 888-744-6542

Last edited by performabuilt; 02-16-2007 at 09:29 AM.