Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happened to second gear??

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 09:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What happened to second gear??

I have a 99 SS, mostly stock. I have the stock 4L60-E but ive had problems with second gear since i bought the car late last year. The first time i had problems with it second gear seemed to go out gradually, it took about a week, and then i had no response from it at all, it would just shift from 1st to 3rd. I could manually put it in 2nd but it was like i was in neutral. I took it to a shop (one that i trust) and had them pull it apart to find the tranny was in top condition, it had a new clutch pack and torque converter. They put it all back together and when i went to drive it afterwards the transmission was shifting perfectly. I drove it for about 3 more days and it just went out again, all the sudden that time though. Well long story short ive played this same game for about 3 months now. Ive had the shop run diagnostic, replace wiring, and Ive had GM mechanics check it out. Still to no avail. If im not throwing a code and the transmission seems to be in excellent shape Im not sure what it could be. And there's been one other person in this area thats had the exact same problem as me with his TA. Ive hit a brick wall, im about to just throw a T-56 in a say the hell with it all.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-26-2007, 09:51 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Do you have a fourth when this happens ? If so its likley a sticking encapsulated 3rd acumulator check ball on the case . or some trash is blocking the orifice there.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-26-2007, 10:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60-e

Yeah i have all the other gears and ive had my mechanic tear the tranny down to bare nothing and everything is squeaky clean.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:06 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Have him replace the encapusulated check ball in the case right at the servo then , That would be my best guess, He can do this with the trans in car, Also while the valve body is off recheck that there are no sticky valves though this dosent seem likley

Call 888-744-6542