Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performabuilt Converter's (PrecisionShift)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 10:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Performabuilt Converter's (PrecisionShift)

Performabuilt, You guys seem to know your $hit and I plan on buying a tranny from you shortly. I also will be replacing my converter, but I am torn on which to get. Yank has been around for a long time and makes some of ther top of the line converters, billit hubs, kevlar clutches, etc... Their SS and PT series is top notch with some of the leading technology in converter design being used in them.

How do your "Precision Shift" converters compare? I'm not trying to call you out, I'm just interested in your offerings. I have a TCI SSF3500 and it's OK. I would hope your converters are better than the TCI SSF, and better than Fuddle and hopefully comparable to companies like Yank, Vig, and Coan.

Do you custom build converters? I noticed your converters on your website for the 4L60E hover around the $600 price range which I'd consider a great price if it can perform the same as say a Yank. Can you tell us about your convertes a little and what makes them a good alternative to those that have already proven themselves?

As of right now I'm leaning towards a Yank PT4000, but the 2.2 STR might be pretty lose on 3.23's until I get my rear replaced and put in the 3.73's.

So if you were to sell me a 4000 stall on car making 420-440 hp, with plans to add about a 100 shot of n20 in the near future, what might you offer and do you have any track results with you converters? If it matters performance come over drivability for this car, but it needs to be streetable.

I know lots of questions, but I think these questions are ones lots of potential buyers might have in my same shoes. I'd like to give you guys a shot, but I was not overly happy with the TCI (inefficent, lockup shudder, really loose for a 3500) and I try not to make the same mistake twice.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:45 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Our converters are all built from all new sock from sonnax and GM and I would say are definatly comparable to the bigger guys and better than some mentioned. Excuse my vague mention of other companies names as Im not allowed to use another companies name in any post I make.
You are welcome to ask around as there are many people on this board and others using our converters and all we have gotten from them is that they are pleased and very impressed.We have never had anyone to be unhappy with the result of using one of our converters.And have only had praise a feedback on them.
Im not sure if this answers your question, I am not a converter guy I am a transmission guy , We do have a converter guy but he dosent post on the net as he is not well spoken and does not particulalarly care for computers. If you or anyone has and specific question about our converters. I will either answer it if I know the answer or I will find out the answer from him and post.
Hope this helps though not as detailed as you might have liked please feel free to shoot any questions you like

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-27-2007, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know this thread was intended for perfomabuilt but i'd like to say that i just bought two trannies from them and if i didnt already have a yank and a vig that i plan on using, i would've felt very confident in buying their converter from them.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will install my trans and converter from Performabuilt this weekend. Hopefully I will have some time to drive it around and make a comparison to the TCI I had before.. I will let everyone know what impression I got from the Performabuilt converters when i have some time to try it out. i run a consistant 7.00 at the local track, so maybe the timeslips will tell me a little also.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bluehawk2
I will install my trans and converter from Performabuilt this weekend. Hopefully I will have some time to drive it around and make a comparison to the TCI I had before.. I will let everyone know what impression I got from the Performabuilt converters when i have some time to try it out. i run a consistant 7.00 at the local track, so maybe the timeslips will tell me a little also.
you run a 7.00 with the mods in your sig??? damn, thats hard to believe. whats your name? have you ever ran at aberdeen track?
Old 02-27-2007, 03:22 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks perfromabuilt. Well some questions...

Heavy Duty Stators, do you use aluminum or steel?

high friction carbon composite converter lockup clutch lining , what makes this better than stock? Will it hold occassional WOT lockup?

and a 4140 chrome molly steel hub, is this better than using billet?

Also have you or your manufacturer ever dyno tested any of the converters? Any words on efficency?

Does precision shift build these converters from scratch?

Thanks again.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:08 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

the converters are built from new parts from sonnax and GM, Carbon composite lockup clutches are considered by most to be superior to kevlar , Kevlar has a lower friction capacity than composite meaning kevlar while having a higher heat range is more apt to slip and create heat to start with , 4140 steel is the grade of metal and is what after market crankshafts are made of and is exstremely hard, Bilet simply means that its cut from some form of stock steel.
We are the manufacturer of the converters . They are not subcontracted or purchased from another vendor.
You will be happy with our converter and on the question of nos it will not be a problem and occassional lockup at WOT is also not and issue , Though the only time I can see that as and advantage is on the DYNO

Stators are steel,

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-27-2007, 11:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

7.00 and some high 6's at a short track which means a 7.30 at Abredeen. My name is Brent Hallmark, I have run at aberdeen one time and I couldn't get a time slip.......If you have been to aberdeen a lot, know know what i mean.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:25 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks Performabuilt, I think you've convinced me.

Thanks for anwering my questions, in a very quick manner I might mention.

Looks like when I order my tranny next month, I'll get the whole package from you guys.

I hope this year once the season starts I can provide some nice results using your products.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:32 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

we look forward to it

Call 888-744-6542