Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PLease HELP fluid leaking and spewed out of dipstick tube!!!!

Old 03-13-2007, 04:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLease HELP fluid leaking and spewed out of dipstick tube!!!!

I have a leak (small one) coming out of the seal where the driveshaft goes into the tranny. There is a foul smell inside the car...not too strong though. I pulled the dipstick yesterday to check the fluid level and the fluid spewed out onto my hand!(like it was pressurized) Fluid was not real hot and DID NOT burn my habd which tells me that is wasn't a boil-over. Vent tube clogged? Please help...Tranny seems to be working normally. I checked the fluid again and it did not spew out again but it seemed to be low, so I added about half a quart and it started coming out (acted like it was full). What do I do?
Old 03-13-2007, 06:13 PM
10 Second Club

Double check your vent tube. Me and a friend put a converter in his car and we smashed the tube in the torque arm mount on the tranny. Althought the tranny didn't leak, it kept spewing out of the dipstick and wouldn't take any more fluid. Slid under the car and found the tubing smashed in the mount, pulled it out and filled tranny rest of the way up. If you know it's not kinked, maybe pull it off of the tranny and try blowing through the hose, maybe something got in there and clogged it up?

Chris
Old 03-13-2007, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackZ28629
I have a leak (small one) coming out of the seal where the driveshaft goes into the tranny. There is a foul smell inside the car...not too strong though. I pulled the dipstick yesterday to check the fluid level and the fluid spewed out onto my hand!(like it was pressurized) Fluid was not real hot and DID NOT burn my habd which tells me that is wasn't a boil-over. Vent tube clogged? Please help...Tranny seems to be working normally. I checked the fluid again and it did not spew out again but it seemed to be low, so I added about half a quart and it started coming out (acted like it was full). What do I do?
Remove the dipstick, then take an air blower and blow into the vent tube. That should remove any debris that is stuck.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:03 PM
Launching!

lol....thanks for the help guys! I just removed the vent tube(rubber part) from in between the torque arm bushing...I changed it a couple months ago and I gues I did not realize that I sandwiched it. Hopefully the internals are still good and unharmed! It seems to be working properly though. I guess the next couple of days will tell. Should I go ahead and change the rear seal? Im prob. gonna change fluid and filter this weekend. Thanks again.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackZ28629
lol....thanks for the help guys! I just removed the vent tube(rubber part) from in between the torque arm bushing...I changed it a couple months ago and I gues I did not realize that I sandwiched it. Hopefully the internals are still good and unharmed! It seems to be working properly though. I guess the next couple of days will tell. Should I go ahead and change the rear seal? Im prob. gonna change fluid and filter this weekend. Thanks again.
I would still take some air and blow through the vent since you're there.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:15 PM
10 Second Club

LOL, good to hear I'm not the only goober to do that. Glad you got it fixed, stuff like that can toss you for a loop if you don't know. Take it easy.

Chris
Old 03-15-2007, 10:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CHRIZ28
LOL, good to hear I'm not the only goober to do that.
I did it too!
Old 03-15-2007, 04:38 PM
Launching!

lol...we should start a vent tube crushing anonymous club. HA. Yeah, I have a friend that builds transmissions that was gonna hook me up with some bad *** stuff; I was kinda excited about rebuilding..but oh well it can wait another couple months or so. Whenever I have to replace the converter, I'll rebuild (Beast sunshell, 5 pinion planetaries F&R, high perf. clutches, upgr. sprag, racing bands, etc. etc.) and get a stall. Lucky me, my friend can get all of this and build it for me for about $1K. even the stall included. Hell of deal if you ask me! PLus warranty!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PLease HELP fluid leaking and spewed out of dipstick tube!!!!