Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TransGo Performance Shift Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 12:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TransGo Performance Shift Kit?

I'm thinking about possibly getting one of these to help with the shifting in my car. The biggest thing that bothers me is how long it feels like it hesitates just before shifting to 3rd. Would it help this?

Also, would it really help the durability of the transmission that much? I am planning on having full bolt-ons and a ~3600rpm stall this year, and possibly a medium sized cam next year, and I have the stock 4l60e in there. Would the kit help with the durability at all until I decide to get the transmission built up by someone(I will probably do it sometime in the next couple years, after the new rear end)?

How easy/hard are they to install, and what can I really expect them to do?

Thanks
Old 03-15-2007, 12:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put it in when I did my stall. Along with tuning it made a big difference. Car would chirp my Nitto's on the 1-2 and 2-3 when I put my cam in.

So yeah it will help with that, as far as making the transmission stronger it might to a degree. But in my car I pretty muched killed the 3-4 clutch pack. After adding a good 100+HP and a couple dozen track passes in a little over a year. Tranny only had 53k on it.

I would still recommend it untill your ready to buy a completely built unit.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:19 PM
11 Second Club

I've had the stage II kit in two of my Fbodies.
I think they are a well designed kit.

Installation is not too difficult, altough having a lift and someone who knows transmissions really does help.
(Well worth the 2-3 hour labor if you don't have access to either)

We didn't put quite enough lube on one of the shafts when we reinstalled it.
It caused me to lose reverse. A quick call to their support line resolved that right away.

If you want to firm up shifts, this is a great mod.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

get hptuners or efi live and adjust the tranny settings (shift psi and time) it made a big difference on mine
Old 03-16-2007, 03:42 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

The modified version of the TransGo Shift kit works best here.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:11 AM
TECH Junkie

i ran the "full race/high stall" transgo kit in my car for over 20k miles with no problems. 4k stall, cooler, and b&m deep pan to accompany it. had 150+ track passes on it and at least that many street runs. however, i do not recommend that level, go with everything the "race" level requires except the washers. i used 3 - i would suggest using 2 at most. tuning is a must with a shift kit - tqm was eating 2-3 mph on my 1/4 mile trap. i installed it myself in the garage, the hardest part was #2 piston because of how close the trans is to the tunnel...plus the springs/washers wouldn't come off the shaft, there was a burr on it so i had to pull everything out in one big piece. that's a different story...

it's easy to install if you can follow written directions as the video is USELESS for fbod cars. with the 4k stall and bfg drag radials i could chirp 2nd and 3rd at the track...the street was a total loss of traction between gears @ basically any speed.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:19 AM
Staging Lane

In my opinion you'll love the quicker, firmer shifts for one thing.

More importantly, since the shifts will be harder and firmer, the shift kit removes the slip built in by GM for the comfort of a smooth shift, that definately will extend the life of your transmission.

Caveat.....since you'll be literally getting into it harder, that tends to shorten your tranny life, so it's probably a draw
Old 03-17-2007, 04:17 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Remember, the tires should brake loose from HP & torque, not on how hard you can make the transmisson shift. The 1-2 shift should be quick but not to the point of breaking the tires loose, as this will hurt ET. When I build these units for high HP vehicles, I tone down the shifts by not adding any spacers on the 2nd gear accumulator, and changing the accumulator & accumulator spring tension in the valve body to make the shifts smoother, not firmer. When done right (not an easy thing to do, matching accumulation to torque converter, motor, rear end gear ratio, how the vehicle is driven, etc.) the shifts at part throttle should be fairly quick and smooth, but not abrupt, and the shift should get firmer with more throttle.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:06 AM
10 Second Club

Smooth shifts= friction/slip=heat=burnt clutches

Vig3600, Transgo HD2, billet servos=very firm aggressive shifts. I like it though.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:32 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Smooth shifts= friction/slip=heat=burnt clutches

agree and disagree while firmer shift is good from a clutch perspective its a balancing act between what the clutches need to survive and not burn and that the hardparts can take

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-18-2007, 10:43 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

A balancing act it is, and there is very much to it. That is why accumulation is so important, and should not be ignored or glossed over. But aggressive shifts at light throttle openings does not give longer life to anything. Some people might want it or like it, and that is their choice, but do not fool yourself into thinking that it will improve durability. I have seen TH400's with no HP in front of them roll over the 34 element sprags because of agressive part throttle shifts. I have seen countless others have similar outcomes. The Hi-Energy clutch material that GM uses can last a very long time if you work with accumulation and not against it. A good Dexron III or now VI oil, that has the right amount of friction modifiers in it does help extend the life of the clutches and band. The vast majority of transmission builders "DO NOT" understand accumulation and what it can do for them. That, in my opinion is the biggest reason that very few people can build 700R4's, and even less, 4L60E's correctly.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:01 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Agreed accumulation is very important and very harsh part throttle shifts do literally beat the crap out of the hard parts , That why we keep acumulation and when we use the transgo kit in our level 3 we do make changes particularly in the accumulation area as the kit installed as directed make the part throttle shifts way more agressive than is needed or desired, I know some people like the slam shift turn the tires over at every shift reguardless of throttle position but its not a good way to have a long life with these transmissions , As was said its a balancing act you want the clutch aplication to be solid enough at all throttle openings to minimize slip but at the same time it must be progressive to avoid excessive impact on the hard parts when it not needed. We have found increasing volume to the friction apply is the way to go not raising line presure excessivly or blocking or exstremely limiting accumulators as the transgo kit effectivley does if installed according to instructions. Increasing volume ,apply area and adding upgraded material and or additional friction area is the right way to do it.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-19-2007, 11:12 AM
Launching!

When Volume goes up...Pressure goes down...simple chemistry.

I wouldn't try to install that kit yourself unless you are fairly knowledgable about transmissions AND have a rack. There is no way I would do it not on a rack. Also, if you have high miles on your car and have ran the heck out of it, then there is a possibility of finding a problem you hadn't experienced before you drained the fluid and such. I put a shift kit in mine and changed the fluid; before I did that, my trans worked fine; now it is evident that my band is gone and the 3-4 clutches are charred (through tear-down and visual inspection). So be ready for whatever with finances. But hey, you can always build it up right if you have to!
P.S. If you do try to install that kit, have fun getting the servo out amongst other things if you get the HD2.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:42 AM
12 Second Club

Do you need to tune the car, after you install a shift kit? Sorry for such a stupid question I'm just not sure.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:36 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mr. Trick
Do you need to tune the car, after you install a shift kit? Sorry for such a stupid question I'm just not sure.
no......
Old 03-20-2007, 01:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

it would be good to though
Old 03-21-2007, 02:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What actually comes in that kit?........specifically!
Old 03-21-2007, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BlackZ28629
When Volume goes up...Pressure goes down...simple chemistry.

I wouldn't try to install that kit yourself unless you are fairly knowledgable about transmissions AND have a rack.

There is my problem, I need a well build girl to build my transmission!
Old 03-21-2007, 10:09 PM
Launching!

ha...nice.....wouldn't that be a treat!
Old 03-22-2007, 05:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Does this kit come with new seals?

Quick Reply: TransGo Performance Shift Kit?