Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80e Swap Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 06:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 4L80e Swap Questions

I'm very strongly considering this. But I've noticed when digging through some of the threads, it's hard to come up with consistent answers. And the ones I can find have some wording issues that make it hard to understand. I think it would be great if these parts questions could be answered here.

1. 4L80e Transmission
Will a stock one hold with my mods and 150 shot?

2. Torque Converter
2a. What one do I use?
2b. A 4L80e converter?
2c. Who makes one in about a 3400?
2d. Or will another type work?
2e. Even with the spacer, to save a few bucks?

3. Flexplate
What one do I use, and does it bolt up directly?

4. Engine Harness
Going to use an auto harness with the adapter to run the 4L80e. Does the PCM still require the HPtuners file to be sent in? Or is this usable now without sending it in?

5. Harness Adapter
See above for related questions.

6. Drive Shaft Fix
6a. What needs to be done?
6b. Can I have my 6-speed drive shaft shortened if needed?

7. Crossmember
Can I fab one from my 6-speed crossmember?

8. Tranny Cooler
What's one that fits well? (Yes, I'll use a stock auto radiator, so that I can use its built-in cooler, but I know I'll need to add an aftermarket one.)

9. Pedals
Will it suck to leave my stock pedals in so that I can switch back later? I guess if pedals are cheap, I can always switch them out.

10. Shifter
10a. What one(s) fit best?
10b. What modifications will need to be done? I assume a new hole in the tunnel and covering the old one.

11. Dipstick
What do I use?

12. Have I left out anything? Any special considerations? Any comments?
Old 03-28-2007, 10:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

2. yank for me, direct fit.
3. i use the tci sfi flexplate, in combination w/ yank 4l80 converter i was able to mount with 6 bolts, i believe 20mm long
6. need a new slip yoke, mine came from strange, and my driveshaft length did not change, just swapped slip yokes
7. crossmember is 4l80 bracket made by BMR
9. i still have the same pedals i did before, still have the clutch pedal
10. b&m quick silver, modded it to keep all the 6psd looks & console
10b. yes cover the m6 hole, and make a long slot for the shifter cable
11. lots of solutions, i bought a huges 4l80 dipstick and tube cuz it was the cheapest new one i could find, and bent it over to clear the cowl

heres my install
http://www.richmondperformancemuscle...9.aspx?ppage=1
Old 03-28-2007, 10:49 PM
10 Second Club

Are there other shifter options? 'Cause I'd like to have it look like an auto if I make it an auto. Yours looks good man. I'll do some parts hunting, and see what I can find. Then I'll keep bothering you.

What Yank did you get, and how much did it run ya?
Old 03-28-2007, 11:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

you can put any of the bazzilion aftermarket shifters in there i am sure... how many fit perfectly in an automatic console... none that i have seen.
i wanted one with no extra levers or do-dads
i have the sc3000 and they run like a grand shipped.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:03 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

1. I answered this before but will answer again. I would really think so.
2. Yank, vigilante and maybe others make a custom converter that use's the 4l80e input shaft and LS1 stock flexplate mounting holes. I used a Pro Yank 3400, it doenst require and adapters or spacers.
3. Any LS1 flexplate will work with the custom made converter. I personally just keep using the stock LS1 flex plate.
4. You will need the extra VSS sensor harness from speartech and them main trans plug adapter and you will have to send you .bin file to HPtuners to have the OS changed so the PCM can control the 4l80e.
5. Only need the adapter to convert the 4l60e plug to 4l80e and the extra VSS harness from speartech.
6. Driveshaft will not need to be shortend. You will have to get the correct slip yoke for your trans. There a couple different ones available
7. Ive heard you can modify the 6spd crossmember but havent tried it myself. I bought the one from yank when I bought my converter. It moves the TA mount off the trans on on the cross member.
8. You want need the stock cooler, use an aftermarket one. Mines a B&M 24,000GVM. Keep the 6spd radiator
9. Dont see any harm in leaving the pedals
10. Keep the stock auto shifter for the stock look. Im sure any aftermarket 4l60e shifter would work with modification
11. !st I used a stock 4l80e dipstick tube that I had to bend over and over and stock 4l60e dipstick that I cut to fit. But now Im running a lokar flexible dipstick and tube from summit Alot easier to install.
12. You'll have to beat and bang and cut the bracing/trans and firewall to get everything to bolt up. Look for a 97+ trans.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:48 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks, Znmypit.

Does anyone happen to have a GM part number for a 4L80e? I'm checking something out.

Quick Reply: 4L80e Swap Questions