Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

everbody says this is gonna break??

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 09:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default everbody says this is gonna break??

I'm having a vig triple disc 3600 stall/b&m cooler/pro tune installed. I plan on spraying a 75 dry shot(out of the hole) at the track nothing more. my mods are lid/filter,free mods, cutout in stock y-pipe, and 10.5 ET streets. Alot of people are saying the trans will take a ****. I've seen many stock 4l60e's in the tens and 1 even in the nines. any opinions????
Old 04-02-2007, 10:00 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dameter21
I'm having a vig triple disc 3600 stall/b&m cooler/pro tune installed. I plan on spraying a 75 dry shot(out of the hole) at the track nothing more. my mods are lid/filter,free mods, cutout in stock y-pipe, and 10.5 ET streets. Alot of people are saying the trans will take a ****. I've seen many stock 4l60e's in the tens and 1 even in the nines. any opinions????
400rwhp off nitrous and 400rwhp on nitrous are very different. nitrous is the worst thing you can do to a trans (other than raise the shift points very high). spraying is like hitting the tranny with a hammer. all of a sudden, it's a huge increase in torque out of nowhere. it's kind of like roll-racing. roll-racing hurts your trans more than from a dig because you're slamming the gears into a lot of power in a high rpm. when power slowly builds, the trans gets to spin up slowly and all the power is increased gradually. with nitrous, the trans is getting hit all at once. imagine going from 0 to 100 mph instantly - in less than a second. it would scramble your brains. something like that happens to your tranny.

will the trans break the first time? probably not, but it'll definitely significantly lower the lifespan of your transmission, whether stock or built. save up for a new tranny because eventually it'll take a dump on you - ESPECIALLY if you spray through shifts. i can't urge this enough: DON'T SPRAY THROUGH THE SHIFTS!
Old 04-02-2007, 10:21 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Well my biggest concern woul b the multidisk converter , Gnerally the only reason someone buys those since they ae very expensive is if they plan on locking and spraying through the shifts. Having the converter locked during shifts is like changing geas in a manual from 1-3-5 without a clutch at WOT the impact on the drive train and had parts if the clutches dont slip is enormous , The converter even when close to stall still acts kinda like a cushion when not locked. I have drive stock cars no shift kit with the converter messed up so its allways locked and its not a pleasant experince , Its like someone took a hammer to the back of the car,
Baring that though yes the trans will last a while probably if its in decent shape. I would leave torque managment on and as said not spray through the shifts and I definatly would not lock the converter before third gear at least at WOT .

Call 888-744-6542