Sponsored by:

help - new motor awesome - old trans bad

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 09:32 AM
KTM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help - new motor awesome - old trans bad

Bought this car with a bad crank - rebuilt the motor - it is great. The trans was supposed to be good - and I did drive it on to the trailer with the rods rattling in the motor...however, got the car running last night with the new mill and went for a test drive. 1-2 shift was fine...no 2-3 shift though - goes to neutral pretty much. Is it possible this is elctronic ? Or is something really toast inside ? I pulled pan, changed filter - it looked good. No burned oil, pretty darn clean. I was hoping I didn't have enough oil in it - and did add a little - but it is right on the mark - certainly close enough to not cause shifting problems. So I have reverse, and very solid 1st gear - second seems fine too- third just isn't there, obviously never got to 4th.

The guy I bought it from did say that when the motor went and he limped it home he couldn't get it in high gear - I was thinking maybe the computer is in some kind of limp mode and not letting it shift ??? Please advise, thanks.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:39 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

if it neutrals on the 2-3 shift then you have a a failed 3-4 clutch

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-03-2007, 11:05 AM
KTM
On The Tree

Ouch...that is what I was afraid of...never messed with on of these electronic transmission...I've re-built T/H 350's and 400's...but was hoping it was something electronic since it has so much of that type of stuff controlling it.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:57 AM
KTM
On The Tree

Performabuilt - you seem to be the only guy currently on line and knowledgeable to help....In further digging, I see limp mode put trans in 2-3 gear only...It is possible that I have 2nd and 3rd gear -not 1st and 2nd. I bought the car with a bad motor - so I haven't driven it to really even know what 1st gear feels like. I didn't put any emmissions back on when I put the motor back in...is it possible that this causing the computer to go to limp mode ?
Old 04-05-2007, 01:14 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

limp mode will allow 3rd gear only start and stop in the d position now you can selct 2 in the 2 and 1 positions but thats all 2-3 manually nothing more

Call 888-744-6542