Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

114,700 miles on originaltrans Fluid change?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 10:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 114,700 miles on originaltrans Fluid change?

Should I just change the fluid and filter or get a full flush, fluid and filter. Never had this done on any car I had before.

Also, How hard is it to replace spark plugs on a 2000 Z28?
Old 04-06-2007, 12:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

full flush and filter. youre gonna ehre rumors not to do it that your tranny will mess up but rest assure its jsut soem bullshit someone came up with
Old 04-06-2007, 12:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Could be BS.....I have never change my trans fluid....in any of my cars.....never had a transmission problem...maybe Im lucky...
Old 04-06-2007, 03:08 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Tainted
full flush and filter. youre gonna ehre rumors not to do it that your tranny will mess up but rest assure its jsut soem bullshit someone came up with
definitely not bullshit. when the bands in the transmission get old, they lose their grip. the old trans fluid actually acts as a friction modifier and helps hold the bands together. when a lot of people change their fluid after a lot of miles, their trans goes soon afterwards because the bands can't grab due to the decreased friction and burn up. i'm sure performabuilt will be in this thread and i bet he'd back me up. maybe vince @ FLT will have something to say, too.

look, your transmission has 115k on it. even if it goes today, that's a strong transmission to have lasted that long and it has had a very good run no matter what happens from today on. you've gone 115k without changing the fluid. why do it now? take that money and save up for a new unit because there is a VERY good chance you will need a rebuild by 150k. 35k miles go fast. save your time and money.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Never underestimate what the old school mechanics know by experience......Ive been around cars since I was 2 months old. I always heard this and have always live by it....sometimes to learn you only need to listen.....thanks for the explanation Choco!
Old 04-06-2007, 06:05 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by chaman
Never underestimate what the old school mechanics know by experience......Ive been around cars since I was 2 months old. I always heard this and have always live by it....sometimes to learn you only need to listen.....thanks for the explanation Choco!
np. i'm no expert, but i've heard many, many trans builders and shop owners say this. don't think i'm just talking theory. these are words directly out of the mouths of ASE certified mechanics...and the theory is still damn sound, too.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:13 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Well though I do advocate changing fuild on a regular basis , There is something to be said about not changing the fuild in very high milage cars in which it has never been changed , Alot of things happen the new fuild has detergents in it that can help break loose trash that can end up somewhere you dont want it , The seals may allready be brittle and the increased flow from the new filter and thicker fluild could cause them to break. But probably the best answer is change it if you like, If it kills the trans its was probably on borrowed time anyway ,Which I think is the big reason people say if you change one thats has never been changed at 100000 miles it will kill the trans because in most cases if no one has changed it by then , The only reason they are having it changed now is because its allready doing something strange

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-06-2007, 10:19 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Absolutely listen to Choco and Performa on this one. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:35 AM
Banned

+1, my cousin has worked on transmissions all his life (he is in his 60's now) and has a rule about autos: If the fluid is pink, its fine, dont change it. If its dark/burnt, its already screwed up and you might as well not touch it.

I think if the fluid has not been changed in over 60K miles, leave her be.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:07 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
+1, my cousin has worked on transmissions all his life (he is in his 60's now) and has a rule about autos: If the fluid is pink, its fine, dont change it. If its dark/burnt, its already screwed up and you might as well not touch it.
Going by that logic you should just never change the fluid, at all...

I don't agree with that. You do need to change it to keep it clean, and pink like it should be. But once it goes dark...you're asking for trouble.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:43 AM
Launching!

Why change it now, its on one hell of a good run.