Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transgo H2 and HD2

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Transgo H2 and HD2

Whats the difference between the two? I see one going for about $80 on ebay, and the other for about $40. Also, 1 out of every 10 times I drive my car the tranny slips, and/or the convertor wont lock up. Will one of these shift kits help/eliminate my problem? I curently have the Vig 3200 installed on my 2001 WS6 Ta. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Charlie Hustle
Will one of these shift kits help/eliminate my problem?.
NO!
Old 04-10-2007, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
NO!
Thank you for your detailed response, it was helpful...very helpful
Old 04-10-2007, 05:52 PM
Banned

Well if you have transmission problems theres something wrong with it, a shift kit is not designed to fix say burned up, worn out clutches, ya think?
Do a search, do you know how many times this has been asked?
Old 04-10-2007, 06:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
Well if you have transmission problems theres something wrong with it, a shift kit is not designed to fix say burned up, worn out clutches, ya think?
Do a search, do you know how many times this has been asked?
Now that was better
Old 04-11-2007, 03:37 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts

Depending on the condition of the transmission fluid, the kit can help solve the TC lockup problems, since it eliminates the pwm, and changes it to a on/off setup. It might solve the slippage problems too, but then again what is the condition of the fluid. When does this slip occur? When hot? Cold? etc. A better description might help here as to the probability of the kit helping or solving this problem.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PBA
Depending on the condition of the transmission fluid, the kit can help solve the TC lockup problems, since it eliminates the pwm, and changes it to a on/off setup. It might solve the slippage problems too, but then again what is the condition of the fluid. When does this slip occur? When hot? Cold? etc. A better description might help here as to the probability of the kit helping or solving this problem.
Usually when cold. The fluid looks fine. Like I said in the first post, it happens very rearley.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:16 PM
TECH Addict

The converter will not lock until the proper engine coolant temperature has been reached, helping warm up the engine faster.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Part of the function of the HD2 kit is to shorten the time required to shift gears, and the manner in which it is designed could stop slippage under certain circumstances. For example, after I installed the STS kit, the transmission would slip under WOT shifts. It no longer does this.
Unfortunately, I was unable to find the technical description of how it does this (which was included in the box when I received it).
I was unable to find an H2 kit on ebay, but Transgo does make 2 kits. One is simply a shift kit, and runs around 40. The HD2 is a shift kit and a reprogramming kit, and runs around 80. The HD2 would be the one to get, IMO.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
Part of the function of the HD2 kit is to shorten the time required to shift gears, and the manner in which it is designed could stop slippage under certain circumstances. For example, after I installed the STS kit, the transmission would slip under WOT shifts. It no longer does this.
Unfortunately, I was unable to find the technical description of how it does this (which was included in the box when I received it).
I was unable to find an H2 kit on ebay, but Transgo does make 2 kits. One is simply a shift kit, and runs around 40. The HD2 is a shift kit and a reprogramming kit, and runs around 80. The HD2 would be the one to get, IMO.
Thank you for the info. When you say the HD2 would be the one to get, why? Also, around how much would a shop charge me to install that kit?
Old 04-11-2007, 08:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the transgo.com website:
shift kit: "Corrects/Prevents/Reduces: FIXES Code 1870 Trouble light & Hard 1-2 shift. No lockup or 4th. Fixes harmonic bounce that wears out pump and valves and causes shuttle shifts. Fwd and L/R clutch burnup; 1-2 bump; double bump; slide-bump.Has new design Isolator/Conv Valve that works Perfect in worn bore w/o special tools or machining. Lets you build real winners
Easy and Fast."
HD2 kit: "Crisp muscle car or full race shifts. Puts the driver in command. Holds 1st, 2nd, 3rd to any speed.
Backshifts to 3rd, 2nd & 1st by moving the lever..
98 up: If vehicle has Torque Management this kit will not make hard shifts. "

Personally, I find this not very informative. I do know that if you have this done, it is highly recommended to have the valve body modified at the same time. It prevents the rough shifts that some report with this kit.
If someone knows where the installation instructions are for the kit, they go into much better detail about what it actually does.
I suggest doing a search on "transgo". You will find quite a lot of information on it.
As far as installation costs, I am not sure. You will have to call around. Since you live in Houston, I am sure we have some sponsors down there in the Lone Star State (native Houstonian here). They have to pull the pan and filter off to do the work, so you will want to replace the fluid, filter, and pan gasket when you have it done. No sense in doing it halfway. Most recommend not going with a synthetic fluid when this is done, which saves a bit of coinage.

Quick Reply: Transgo H2 and HD2