Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Input drum questions with pics.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 10:09 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Input drum questions with pics.

Here are some pics of the input drum. What caused the damage to the teeth on the drum? It might be hard to tell from the pics, but about 4 of the teeth are bad.
pic1
pic2
Old 04-15-2007, 10:44 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It almost looks like your trans had a broken output shaft at one time. Or some one pressed that shaft out to inspect the drum and damaged it pressing it apart.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:49 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
It almost looks like your trans had a broken output shaft at one time. Or some one pressed that shaft out to inspect the drum and damaged it pressing it apart.
Yeah I was thinking it got damaged when it got pressed back in.
Do you think it will be ok?
I'm rebuilding it because of the 3/4 clutch went out. The guy that build it had 7 clutches in the 3/4 pack and only 14 of the yellow springs installed. The transgo kit said to install all 22 springs.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:05 PM
Banned

I wouldn't use it, thats one common weak spot on the input drum. Usually the shaft gets loose and cracks the drum in that spline area when they fail.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:07 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I myself always press the two pieces apart. Once separated you can look at the surface where the feed holes in the drum meet the shaft. If it looks good and not damaged or gauged so to speak, I will reuse the drum. I always lock-tight the two pieces and press the shaft back into the drum. Be careful if you choose to do this. When you press the shaft out you will need to support the drum with a collar of some sort around the spline area. This will keep you from flexing the drum and weakening it or even cracking it when taking it apart. On reassembly make sure to the same thing to support the drum so that you do not damage the drum on reassembly. I usually use a large deep-well impact socket for this. While you have the drum apart clean this area where the lock-tight will be used so that it does it job. Also these shafts should never press out very easy or in easy. If so you could have potential problem. I probably would not use that drum because of the area that appears to be damaged, there is a seal for lube that rides there. That would be your call. Vince
Old 04-15-2007, 01:43 PM
On The Tree

replace that sucker. I try to always press out the shaft from the drum, powdered metal builds up inside there and its tough to get it out. Plus its easier to inspect for cracks and defects.