Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

torque converter help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default torque converter help!

My dealer says my torque converter is locking up too early causing a driveability problem when I want to accelerate to gain more speed I have to give it more and more gas and get down on it to make it go at all. They say the seal on the torque converter is leaking also they think. I picked up my vehicle because they wanted to do a complete trans rebuild and torque converter. There is nothing wrong with the trans. It shifts great which they admit that but they say you have to always rebuild a trans when putting a torque converter in a high mileage vehicle (175,000) I have a new engine and want to know if this stuff they are telling me is true. Will it hurt anything to drive it like it is. I just spent 7,000 on all the engine stuff so I don't want any problems there because of this. This vehicle is not a daily driver. Only a show vehicle. But I do go out of town in it.

If it is locking up to early could it possibly be anything with the ecm or trans. controls from the computer. He ran redundant grounds to the ecm trying to fix an idle problem I have. Also can a torque converter being off cause a high idle or a little miss or stumble on start up and at other times.

Any help I appreciate.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:15 PM
On The Tree

Do you have Hptuners or Efilive? If not find somebody who has it and log the trans and torque converter. If needed you can change your Lock up MPH speed.
But if it were me I wouldn't drive the car till I've found out what is causing your problem. Which brand and what stall converter is it?
Old 04-15-2007, 07:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The dealer didn't act like it would be any problem to drive it. I have no aftermarket anything on it. It is all GM factory. The converter is factory also.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:15 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

The converter only locks up when its comanded to by the PCM if its locking early theres some issue with tuning or a sensor I would check the TPS

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-16-2007, 12:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So it wouldn't have to be that I need a new converter. The TPS checks out with the right voltage and it has been replaced with a new GM one. This vehicle is all stock with no performance tuning on it. There is definitely a leak of trans fluid and a noise when first started up. I have been to 2 dealerships and 2 independant shops and they just scratch their hands. The dealership wanted me to spend 3,000 on a torque converter and rebuild the transmission. There is a TCC solenoid on my vehicle also. I wonder if there is a problem with it. I think it is in the transmission though. I see you do transmissions and I am glad you chimed in. I feel like that a transmission guy is who I need some advice from.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:28 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Though at 175000 miles I dont doubt you may need a trans with the other syptoms you are speaking of I would also guess you have and electrical issue of some sort also.
I would consider getting another trans however I do not think that in and of itself will solve all the poblems you have ,

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-16-2007, 10:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How about the ecm controls to the tcc solenoid? I no several people who have over 225,000 miles on their transmission. I have given up on anyone finding anything else wrong. Even the GM tech said there wasn't anything else wrong.

The mechanic says the clutch in the torque converter is the problem. I really don't know. I have spent money I didn't need to so I am being more cautious now.