Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PRO'S AND CON'S on a 4l80E

Old 04-16-2007, 04:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PRO'S AND CON'S on a 4l80E

Just like you read it, what are the Pro's and Con's for this trans. Is it better then a TH400??? Need help... looking for my turbo build very confused on what to do.. Also what stall speed are people going with. Who is running a 4l80E with there set up and what HP are you working with.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:57 PM
Banned

Cons= expensive, especially converters, stand alone computers.
Pro's= overdrive.
It's about the same as a th400 but heavier, the geartrain interchanges exactly in earlier year 4L80's. Main difference is the overdrive.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
Cons= expensive, especially converters, stand alone computers.

Stand alone?? I thought that they made a wiring harness that is a plug and play that you had to add some wires to the pcm?? Thats just what I have heard form some trans places. Where would one get a stand alone from for a F BODY
Old 04-16-2007, 05:37 PM
TECH Regular

You can use your own computer and just adjust the wiring. A standalone is like $1k+. That's silly.
They're heavy and expensive and take more power to turn.
But they're strong and you'll probably not tear it up.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who out there sells built 4L80es? What parts are needed for the conversion, just the computer and converter? Who sells a full swap kit w/ the tranny, stall, computer and other stuff? I need something sooooon and OD would be oh so nice!
Old 04-16-2007, 06:24 PM
Teching In

does anyone else beside MIGHTMOUSE running this trans with high HP #'s and has anyone had major problems with this trans. Why I ask is that I have been burned way to many times with a 4l60e only running a heads cam car making at the time 430 hp. replace a 4l60e twice rebuilt them about 4 times they suck. Now I have a rossler 4l60e and I dont want to go through this again havent had problems with this trans YET! Dont want to run it until I beef up the trans
Old 04-16-2007, 07:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by boostinta
Stand alone?? I thought that they made a wiring harness that is a plug and play that you had to add some wires to the pcm?? Thats just what I have heard form some trans places. Where would one get a stand alone from for a F BODY
Yes you can use the 4L60E harness.
PS the standalone controller is only $600. (if you're putting one in a non computer controlled vehicle. So you don't need one.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:18 PM
9 Second Club

I have Jims tranny...ran it to 820rwhp on the incons...408 made 920rwtq. I am shooting for more with this setup.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cablebandit
I have Jims tranny...ran it to 820rwhp on the incons...408 made 920rwtq. I am shooting for more with this setup.

THANK YOU FOR THE INFO THATS WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR, HAVE YOU EVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH THIS SET UP WITH YOUR TRANS???

Last edited by boostinta; 04-16-2007 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SVT THIS
Who out there sells built 4L80es? What parts are needed for the conversion, just the computer and converter? Who sells a full swap kit w/ the tranny, stall, computer and other stuff? I need something sooooon and OD would be oh so nice!
I ordered THIS complete kit. I also got a Yank pt-4000 for a 4l80E.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Jim's 4L80E as well and my car should be making in the 650-700 RWHP range with the blower not counting the nitrous plate setup from nitro daves.

I have yet to install it yet though. But after hearing my Cablebandits succes with it I decided to go with Jim at Transformance.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:45 PM
12 Second Club

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to use a BFH mod to the tunnel in order to get the bellhousing to clear?
Old 04-16-2007, 11:15 PM
Tech Resident

I was told that you would need a cross member, TQ arm mount, due to the fact that it has no mount for it. wiring harnes, converter. People correct me if I missed anything. I am dealing with MIGHTYMOUSE guy (jim) very cool guy heres his # xxxxxxxxxx. (Thanks MIGHTYMOUSE (dave) ) for the find and the heads up.
i'm not trying to be a dick or anything, but did he give you permission to post his phone number in an open forum? if he did that's cool and all, but i doubt he wants a bunch of random people calling him during all hours of the day asking about transmissions. i'm just saying if you gave me your phone number, you probably wouldn't want me to release it to the general public.

FLT sells a built 4L80E. it's been proven to hold 1,000 horsepower. you won't blow it up. a 4L80E is really nothing more than an electronic TH400 with overdrive. they're very similar in design.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:13 AM
TECH Addict

I have a Hughes-built 4L80E with a standalone TCI T-Com computer and am very happy with it. I have only put 501HP through it so far but am in the process of changing the S-trim to a T-trim and hope to break the 620rwhp mark with it. And I still have 2 stages of nitrous running through a dual Cheater plate to connect up. Hughes put it in writing that it would hold up to 1000HP, although I will have to replace the converter to one with billet guts, anti-ballooning reinforcement and multi-plate lockup before I mess with the squeeze. I expect the right converter to be about $1400.

I love the programmability of the TCI kit. I have it set up so that it's a baby around town - my mother could literally drive it - but when it hits 47% throttle, and the 2nd two barrels open up (it's a 4bbl throttle on a single plane intake), it turns into a neck snapping beast. Hard, hard shifts. Plus you can program each upshift/downshift point per gear, line pressure vs. TPS per gear, set it up for paddle shifting, datalog your runs from a tranny perspective including temps and lots more.

Turning on the "Lockup at WOT" option added 40rwhp and 25rwt.

It is about 75 pounds heavier than my 4L60 was. Probably 82 heavier now that I added the deep pan. It took 13 quarts of tranny fluid before the thing was properly filled!

There is an ear on the driver's side of the tranny that most people need to cut off. It is not used by anyone I know, and it's aluminum so it saws off easily.

Not an f-body, but pictures at my site show detail and the friggin' size of the thing attached to my motor. Mine's a little longer than most because I have the mechanical speedo adapter that adds like 5 inches to the total length.

Last note - some people like the TH400 and GV overdrive option, but you lose the programmability, end up with a longer unit, have to toggle OD separately and the final price (GV is $$$) is damn close to a built 80E with standalone. On an f-body where you could use your PCM it would be even closer.

Jim

My Site: http://home.mindspring.com/~jim_fisk/id1.html

Last edited by DeltaT; 04-17-2007 at 12:19 AM.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
i'm not trying to be a dick or anything, but did he give you permission to post his phone number in an open forum? if he did that's cool and all, but i doubt he wants a bunch of random people calling him during all hours of the day asking about transmissions. i'm just saying if you gave me your phone number, you probably wouldn't want me to release it to the general public.

FLT sells a built 4L80E. it's been proven to hold 1,000 horsepower. you won't blow it up. a 4L80E is really nothing more than an electronic TH400 with overdrive. they're very similar in design.

MAN YOUR SO RIGHT I DID NOT ASK HIM SO I REMOVED/DELETED THAT POST. WASNT THINKING AT THE TIME WHEN POSTING IT. FLT I WILL TRY TO CALL THEM
Old 04-17-2007, 06:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

don't think you will find a better deal than jim, but not a sponser so you can't post contact info. i am totally happy with it and thank CB for the lead. (my new jerry/cablebandit abbreviation)
Old 04-17-2007, 08:09 AM
Banned

Mine's a little longer than most because I have the mechanical speedo adapter that adds like 5 inches to the total length.
Thats not really possible. I can see the output shaft sticking out of the end of the tail housing. If your tail housing was 5" longer the yoke would never reach the output shaft. Plus the stock tail housing is not much more than 5".
Old 04-17-2007, 08:26 AM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

has anyone mentioned the WAY taller first gear of the 80E vs the 60E??? I know you can get it swapped out, but in stock form, its like crawling up a hill to get out of the hole...
Old 04-17-2007, 12:06 PM
Tech Resident

MAN YOUR SO RIGHT I DID NOT ASK HIM SO I REMOVED/DELETED THAT POST. WASNT THINKING AT THE TIME WHEN POSTING IT. FLT I WILL TRY TO CALL THEM
that's cool, well all make mistakes. i'm sure he'd appreciate you removing his number.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
has anyone mentioned the WAY taller first gear of the 80E vs the 60E??? I know you can get it swapped out, but in stock form, its like crawling up a hill to get out of the hole...
Nah. The 4L60e's first gear is too short. With a big stall you're just wasting that gear. The 4L80's first gear should be super-usable. It's the same ratios as the TH-400. And nobody is saying it's geared too tall.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PRO'S AND CON'S on a 4l80E